Clawhammer or Newcastleor Winchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3incorp

In Runtime
What is the advantages/disadvantage of Clawhammer, Newcastle, Winchester AMD 64 chips? I am looking at buying 3400, 3500 or 3700 for a 939 board. I am not a gamer.....

there are no 3400 or 3700 939pin cpu's. winchetser cores are the newest and oc the best.

Phosoho510, I had thought of going with Intel but also want to get the most bang for the buck......knowing that Intel is recommended for nongamers.

jnev_89 said:
there are no 3400 or 3700 939pin cpu's. winchetser cores are the newest and oc the best.

I have a SKT 939 3400+...

Whinchester run cooler and .1 volt less meaning usually they overclock better

Newcastle are slightly cheaper, and to some unnoticably faster in benchmarks. Like .1% peformance increase.

I believe clawhammer cores have large 1MB L2 cache. Newcastle and Winchester cores are only found in the newer socket 939 based Athlon 64s. Winchester cores use a superior 90nm process which means they run on less voltage than the 130nm Newcastle cores, which basically translates into less heat dissipation.

clawhammer = 13 micron wafer, 1MB L2 cache

New Castle = 13 micron wafer, 512K L2 cache

Winchester = 9 micron wafer, 512K L2 (so far, likepy to get increased in future)

if you arent gamer, better go for winchester, cooler and newer.

hmm so if ur gona oc and ur a gamer new castle or winchester?

and wat if ur a gamer and ur not gona oc

iv eheard that winchester all the way even though if ur not gona oc or ur a gamer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom