Unholy Union- Mobo supports AMD and Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMDM2

Run with a P4, or drop in a converter card and fly with a 939 AMD64.

The mainboard has 4 slots for DDR2 667, a 1066FSB, SATA2, GigaLAN and 1394a Firewire. When in place, the SiS965 Southbridge is shared with the converter card which is based around AMD socket 939. The card has itÂ’s own dedicated SiS756 Northbridge, 2 slots of DDR400, power management circuits and a FSB2000T. These are all needed to run the AMD K8 technology.

My question is, Why?

err....DJ-Chris has a point. Why would anyone care that their mobo runs both AMD and Intel Processors? Most of the people that care are die-hard fans that will never, ever buy anything but their respective brands. Plus, I bet the converter doesn't run w/ 100% speed of a dedicated mobo. I bet it doesn't even run the intel or the amd processors w/ 100% speed of a dedicated mobo.

Well, it's called thinking outside the box. It's nice to a company at least put an effort out to try a make a board support both types of processor. Imagine the benefits of being able to switch between two seperate processors.

That board does look like it has its flaws though. Yes, it probably slightly bottlenecks overall performance. In addition, it looks like it would fit pretty arkwardly into a case. It also looks like it would do a pretty good job obstructing airflow and raising temperatures.

Still, I know I would like to a have board that supports both types of processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom