6800 GT PCI-E or AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebathan

Baseband Member
I was browsing newegg and saw that they now have PCI-E Geforce 6800 GT's for under 400, I was wondering if there is actaully much of a performance difference between the AGP and PCI-E versions, cause I've heard cards still dont utilize the 16x of PCI-E.

From what i've seen, the PCIe cards edge the AGP cards out ever so slightly. Maybe 2 - 3% faster. PCIe will be the future of gaming cards, but if you must go with AGP, you will be fine for now.

no the systems are diff
the agp setup is a 3.2 pent 4 while the pci ex setup is a amd 4000+ so you cant compare it

err...no difference i think. PCIe 16x is what they're talking about...apologies if i'm wrong. 16x iis just the bandwidth. It means there are 16 connections to and from the graphics card to where ever the data goes. then there's PCIe 8x...8 lines to and from the graphcis card, and 4x...etc. For AGP, i think the max out right now is 8x, and PCI i dunno what the max is. Somebody (garra, i think it was) said that no game out right now can use all 16 lines, and i believe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom