Why overlock RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention, at least in my case, even when I run my ddr2533 at a 266 fsb, it is still techically overclocked. This is due to the stock timings of the ram. At 266, or when its on a 4:3 ratio, it runs 4-4-4-12. At 200, or at a 1:1 ratio, it runs 3-3-3-9. So without loosening the timings, by taking to ram down to 1:1 I get better timings, even if the fsb is OC'd to 266 .:D

if the timings are tightened while clocking down that's not 'technically overclocking'

I have a question
in the build I'm doing I got a 3000+ winchester with 1 gig corsair xms 3200
the timings are 2-2-2-5

I would like to clock the CPU to 3400+ speeds with a zalman 7700-cu if that is possible.
one of the key features of the ram is the low latency but if I want to overclock it I have to bring up the timings to 3-3-3-8 or something around there? So would this make my ram still a lot faster even though I just lost the low latency aspect?
Also, is ther corsair xms series with heat spreaders pc-3200 good for overclocking?
I'm wondering what kind of an overclock I can expect with the items mentioned. But like I said I would prefer to go to 3400+ speed with a 1:1 ratio.

well, there isnt a 3400+ as such. there are only 3 winchesters at the moment. 3000+, 3200+ and 3500+ so a 3400 would be somewhere around 2.3ghz.

well, the latency depends on your individual system, no two systems are exactly the same, even with the same components. but yes, you will have to loosen the latencies with most ram to overclock. The exception being some BH-5 modules, that can do 250Mhz at 2-2-2-5, with something crazy like 3.4vdimm. but they are rare, and when you find them for sale, never cheap.

that ram is ok for overclocking, just dont expect it to do something crazy like 300Mhz (DDR600).

if the timings are tightened while clocking down that's not 'technically overclocking'
Well, it is not really clocking down. It is like this.

Stock: Ram ratio 4:3; FSB 200/800; RAM 266/533 4-4-4-12

OC (the specific config I am mentioning): Ram ratio 1:1; FSB 266/1066; RAM 266/533 3-3-3-9

Does that make since?

Nubius when i get some good ram do you think you can help me set it up to work good with my CPU?? Because im still new to Overclocking..... And i still dont understand the timeings on ram very well....

well, there isnt a 3400+ as such.
Actually there is a 3400+ it's just not at all common.

Dale - the cas latency and cycle time effect stability more than they do bandwidth. The middle numbers effect bandwidth. If you OC'd to say like 205 and loosened your timings to 3-3-3-8 from 2-2-2-5 you'd lose bandwidth, but if you were at like 220+ with 3-3-3-8 you'd have a gain in bandwidth for sure.

Well, it is not really clocking down. It is like this.

Stock: Ram ratio 4:3; FSB 200/800; RAM 266/533 4-4-4-12

OC (the specific config I am mentioning): Ram ratio 1:1; FSB 266/1066; RAM 266/533 3-3-3-9

Does that make since?
lol no it doesn't really make sense, not to me anyway.

There is no 'stock ratio' for the RAM...it's completely dependant on what you have your CPU at.

If you have your RAM at 266MHz, but you use tigher timings, that's still not overclocking, because you aren't pushing the spec'd speeds at all..it's just 'optimizing' if you will.

Charles - You don't have to full understand what each timing does per se....you just gotta know the simple basics like...as the MHz go up your timings must become relaxed and more voltage will be needed to be added to the RAM to increase stability.

Memtest86+ loops and prime95 in blend mode are good for testing the RAM, but as I've found out, gaming is the ultimate test for stability.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3393

Go there, scroll way down to DRAM TIMINGS and it will give you more info than you really need lol. That will explain what you need to know as far as the timings and how they relate to stability or bandwidth

lol i wish i could get like ddr600 but the best i can get perfectly stable is ddr460 3-3-3-5 and i can play any game fine at ddr480 3-3-3-5. im happy as its value ram but i wish i could get ddr600 :) o well such is life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom