Changing My Music & My Pictures Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

anomally

Beta member
Well I got my whole comp customized with windowblinds and a nice clean skin. Today I was changing the icons, My computer, recycle bin, etc. But it doesn't give me an option to change the 'My Music' and 'My Pictures' icons.

Can't use right click > properties either, any way I can do this?

Why can't you use right click properties?

your can edit your file with note pad, but I forgot how to do it

I have my own folder for music, but on the start menu, it has all the folders listed and I want them all to match and I can't delete them off the start menu.

Re:

Hello,

The icons for the My Music and My Pictures (and any Windows XP proprietary folders) are assigned in a special system file, labelled Desktop.ini.

You can't see this file in folders, but it is there...in every folder. To make it visible, you need to go into the specific folder you want to change the icon for, then in exlorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > click the 'View' tab > then check 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' and uncheck 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'

Then, in the specific folder, you should be able to see Desktop.ini. It should open in a text editor (Notepad). The line IconIndex=-237 defines the Icon used from the system's shell32.dll. The following preset system icon values are:

- My Music: IconIndex=-237
- My Pictures: IconIndex=-101
- My Videos: IconIndex=-238

Unfortunately, this method only allows you to change or restore your icons to those available in the system's shell32.dll. Also, there is no index or reference for the specific icons that I know of, so it's either a task of trial and error, or comparing your own folders, or other system's folders.

Re: Re:

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

The icons for the My Music and My Pictures (and any Windows XP proprietary folders) are assigned in a special system file, labelled Desktop.ini.

You can't see this file in folders, but it is there...in every folder. To make it visible, you need to go into the specific folder you want to change the icon for, then in exlorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > click the 'View' tab > then check 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' and uncheck 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'

Then, in the specific folder, you should be able to see Desktop.ini. It should open in a text editor (Notepad). The line IconIndex=-237 defines the Icon used from the system's shell32.dll. The following preset system icon values are:

- My Music: IconIndex=-237
- My Pictures: IconIndex=-101
- My Videos: IconIndex=-238

Unfortunately, this method only allows you to change or restore your icons to those available in the system's shell32.dll. Also, there is no index or reference for the specific icons that I know of, so it's either a task of trial and error, or comparing your own folders, or other system's folders.

Actually I was trying to find My notepad note that had similar instruction to this.

you can also use bitmap image this way. so use a program likeJasc paint shop pro to convert your images to bitmat. this is similar to the way I set my folders last year. you just have to type the path to your bitmap file. I will try to find my instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom