Cable modem security

Status
Not open for further replies.
firewall checkers from grc.com

I have ZoneAlarm Pro. It doesn't cost a lot and it keeps programmers writing code. grc.com is run by Steve Gibson and has some free goodies to check for security. One is Leak Check to see if your system can be sending data out to someone without your knowledge! Another program 'pings' you and tells you if your computer even shows up to a possible attacker. Tells you if you have ports that are vulnerable and how to fix the problem. Check it out. . . the price is nice - FREE;)

I use BlackICE and Zone Alarm Pro at the moment, though of course, my ISP itself offers me some protection. :D

NAT routers are also a good idea as well as hardware firewalls.

Without the firewall(s) enabled, I go to grc.com and do a quick port probing, usually show up as either stealthed (some) or closed (most).

Security

You can also get a program called Ad-Aware fpr spyware removel and anlogX cookie wall to delete cookies.Both free

ZA is junk IMHO, i work with cable internet and I have seen ZA hose so many people connections. I use blackice, but you cant beat a good router. I would hook it up even if you have only 1 comp, yours speed and ping times will improve as routing internet traffic is what its made to do.

By the way. All you are really going to get here is opinions. Best thing to do, is go to the websites of all the suggested firewalls here, and if available, download demo versions. (One by one, of course, not usually good to have more than one firewall,generally messes up cable connections) and figure out which one works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom