RAM compatibility issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomUK

Daemon Poster
I'm re-considering purchasing an Asus A8V Deluxe (with an AMD 64 3500+). The last time I bought these products from Dabs.co.uk I found them to either be faulty or incompatible with my current (generic) RAM; after sending the items back Dabs sent me an email confiming the latter...

Anywho, this Corsair RAM has caught my eye: http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/memoryandaccessories/productView.htm?quicklinx=36J4.

Although isn't listed in the A8V's qualified RAM vendor's list ( http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8v-d/overview.htm), does anyone here think I'll be safe? Or should I be strict and try and get hold of only the recommended modules?

Thanks.

EDIT: Link fixed :)

I got a broken link for the Corsair link (first), but Corsair is listed on the Qualified Vendors List, although that may not be the same as what you're looking at. I don't see why it would restrict it, as long as it's DDR400/333. I've used Corsair in the past, and personally I love it. I don't see why ASUS would limit your possibilities to those companies, although I've never purchased and ASUS board before, so I can't say if it would work or not. Personally, from my point of view, don't hold this against me if I'm wrong, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, therefore I would go ahead and buy the Corsair. If it doesn't work, make sure you buy it from a reputable place that will give a refund (cash/store credit) or exchange for something else (in which case the only RAM off the "Qualified" list I would use is Kingston)

They will only list the sticks they have tested as 'qualified'. It would probably take too long to test all the versions from all the companies - so your led to assume all of that type of RAM will work (unqualified) but in case it doesn't Asus can just say that its not on their list so tough luck... (Asus techy support isnt bad actually)!

Thanks people, I've decided to go for 2x 512mb sticks of Kingston Hyper X, which is listed :). After the trouble I had the last time, I figured it's better to be safe than sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom