Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaio

Beta member
Hi guys

I opened my comp a few days ago to clean it and noticed the fan on the heatsink was broken. So off I go to buy a new one, only to be told that they're not really sold anymore. So the guy sells me a new heatsink. One that doesn't require a fan. Yay!

Ok, so this then is the problem:

The computer just goes *beep* *beep* and refuses to do anything. First I thought I'd broken something while switching the heatsinks (the sucker was hard to get out, had to use pliers and a hammer =P), but then I had a thought and I need you guys to tell me if it's possible.

Theory:

My computer is stupid. Because the new heatsink doesn't have a fan it thinks it's not being properly cooled and refuses to work. Is this possible or should I just take my computer to someone who knows what he's talking about?

Oh, and I threw the old fan away. How was I to know it would be important later?

Now what sort of info do you need, I wonder...

The motherboard is an Abit KG7-RAID. Think that ought to do it, but if you need more info just ask.

Thanks in advance!

Well that's what I thought. But really there's no reason why it should be. I wasn't that rough with it...

Called the place where I got the new heatsink and he said it could be because the motherboard is pissed because there's no fan attached...

As you can understand I'd rather it was the latter. So you don't think this is even a possibility?

This is pretty strange, I've never heard of a CPU Heatsink without a fan Attached. :eek:

My guess is that your theory may be right. KG7-RAIDs run with Athlon XPs, i believe, and i don't think it's possible to safely run one without a fan or some sort of alternate cooling method.
I would get a new heat sink (with fan) and try that out.
hopefully, that would fix it. otherwise, your CPU might already be fried...

Kaio said:
Hi guys
had to use pliers and a hammer =P),

what are you doing with pliers and a hammer?!

if you were too rough you could have destroyed the cpu die. what i think though is that maybe the cpu is just overheating. try another cpu fan/ heatsink on it and see if it runs.

usually your computer would shutdown if it overheats. and btw don't buy it from the same salesman, the guy who sold you it is either really stuipid or he did not understand what you wanted to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom