Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

socom2playa

In Runtime
I just upgraded from 512 to 1 gig of ram, check my specs for details, anyways i was told theres away to optimize proformance by changing the physical and virtual memory settings.does anyone know anything about this and how i can optimize my memory?

i dont think there is anyway to optimize the physical mem though windows, they do make third party programs that can optimize mem for you but i really dont like them. you can get to the virtual mem settings by right clicking on my computer selecting properties, advance tab, Profromance settings, advanced tab, vitural memory is at the bottom of the winodw. with a 1 gig of memory though you shouldnt be using much a Swaper file(virtual memory, Page file) so you shouldnt have to change its settings

i dont really understand what you mean ?

mrkoffee said:
i dont think there is anyway to optimize the physical mem though windows, they do make third party programs that can optimize mem for you but i really dont like them. you can get to the virtual mem settings by right clicking on my computer selecting properties, advance tab, Profromance settings, advanced tab, vitural memory is at the bottom of the winodw. with a 1 gig of memory though you shouldnt be using much a Swaper file(virtual memory, Page file) so you shouldnt have to change its settings

As far as I know Windows does not ship with a memory optimizer. you can get thrid-party programs (not made by microsoft) to clean up your memory.
Say you play a game and exit, when you exit the game there should be fuctions that take care of releaseing the memory the program asked for and cleaning up any dead varibles and that kind of garbage. now some programs dont do a very good job at cleaning the memory up when they exit. so, you can run a memory optimizer and release any of the garbage thats taking up space in your memory. most of todays programs do a pertty good job and cleaning the memory on exit

in the previous post it sounds like you where able to find the vitural memory settings.

I like to set my vitural memory to Size of phyiscal memory + normal PF (Page File) usage
my work computer has 256 megs of phyiscal memory. my PF usual runs at 196 megs. 256 + 196 = 452 and thats what i set my vurtal memory to. if your wonder how tell what your PF is then hit crtl alt del and click on performance tab. i would take a reading right after boot up when system is idel. the main reason being is i want vitural memory to be able to hold a full ram dump if it has to. anything over that number is kind of a waste of space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom