best hardware to use when sticking w/ windows98

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonewolf337

Beta member
I'm currently using windows98. I have no desire to upgrade to a newer windows OS. In my computer evolution of going from windows 3.1 to 95 to 98, I had more disappointment with each upgrade and really don't want to spend money on a newer OS I don't think is actually an improvement.

That being said. What have I really limited myself to hardware-wise. I.e., what is the best hardware (specifically, CPU) that should be used with windows98? I don't want to be eager to get the best out there if my software stubbornness makes it useless.

If I don't upgrade have I prevented myself from taking advantage of other hardware options like a motherboard with firewire support?

Thanks.

98 Special Edition supports firewire.

And your pretty much screwed software wise. Your main problem will probably be drivers.

I really don't know what to tell you... like you, I prefer the stability of 98 (XP always seems twitchy with me). However, I've moved one because new software requires XP.

You probably don't need to upgrade... if you do however, just make sure you can get a driver.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Get past your feelings and move on. Upgrade to XP. 98 and 98se suck donkey nuts when it comes to support with USB devices.

XP is much more stable then 98. Supports more. Runs faster.

SHAWN said:
Get past your feelings and move on. Upgrade to XP. 98 and 98se suck donkey nuts when it comes to support with USB devices.

XP is much more stable then 98. Supports more. Runs faster.

I agree, and I frequently use both windows 98, win 98se and XP Home.

Drivers are a pain in the behind for 98, no matter what I do i cannot install proper USB drivers. For any newer hardware your screwed for drivers.

Don't be like the person who has a 166 and thinks it's a good computer.

I used to dislike XP but than I moved on. And dont tell me 98 is not better than windows 3.1. If you really despise microsoft for every newer operating system, go run windows 3.1 or dos please.

EDIT: The best hardware for you would be a pentium 3, and a TNT2. Maybee a whole bunch of ISA cards to go with that, for stuff like a token ring lan :cool: , Their's even Cisco 2502's for token ring on ebay for 10$ and cards for 5$. It maybee old, but it is far better than the new stuff :p

Thanks for sticking up for me FadingTheory. It looks like I asked a question that will get little respect. I do not like the idea of wasting money...upgrades to microsoft products are wastes of money to me (trade one set of bugs for another and I usually lose something I liked or at least did not gain anything any more useful). I assume Athlon64 CPUs are "useless" with Win98 because of the 64-bit architecture vs. 32-bit architecture. Would that be the only real reasonable cut-off when it comes to Win98 and CPUs/hardware?

Windows98 is still sold [saw lots of sites when I tried to google to get some answers to this question], so its not a dead product yet.

An AMD 64 still works perfecetly in a 32 bit enviroment, as about 95% of us 64 bit CPU people are still using 32 bit OS's

However getting newer chipets, SATA, graphics cards, NIC's and soundcards to work with 98 is a hastle. USB is a big headache.

Windows 98 can be aqquired for 5$ for a LEGAL copy even. XP is as cheap as 50$.

Since you have not used XP, it's leaps and bounds better than 98 and ME. Trust me, I have used every operating system extensivly except 2kpro and mac and linux.

If your computers fast enough to run XP, you really should.

Another thing to do is find windows XP, install it. After 30 days when you need to enter a CD key, buy one if you do. If you do not, uninstall XP.

Also doesnt windows 98 limit you to a 32 gig harddrive?

BTW: I still run windows 98 on a laptop that's older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom