laptop randomly switches from AC to battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumlix18

Solid State Member
thank goodness for my warrentee, cuz it's going back today. but i am still curious what could be causing it. i'll describe it as best as i can.

when the laptop is plugged in, after a while using it (maybe 20 minutes), it will randomly switch over to battery power. it is only until i remove the plug from the rear socket and plug it back in again to the back of the laptop will it indicate ac power. it will then repeat this process over and over again, switching to battery power. it doesnt seem like the battery though, because when i remove the battery, the computer then will randomly shut off from no power. so it has to be in the mechanism that toggles AC versus battery power. however, the laptop will immediatly die around 15-20% battery life when it gets down there. so something isnt synched correctly. when it reboots, it shows 0% and charging. it usually switches over to battery when its above 90%.

btw, it is the best buy 3-year warrentee and the laptop is a compaq R3360. i wish they could just exchange it for something else. it has about 5 bad sub-pixels and now this is happening. in the time i wrote this, it switched over about 5 times to battery. :mad:

would anyone have an idea about this? thanks.

Im guessing it's being a power hog and due to cheap AC-DC power supply's on laptops, it's switching to battery because it runs out of juice.

Compaq's are power hogs too...

the port in which you plug the power into may be faulty or something on the motherboard could be having issues. Compaq is not a great brand IMO.

i know the plug is fine, i checked the connection. oh well, its going back tommorrow.

as for compaqs being junk, thats true. but the older ones are very nice. i have an old lte 5400 that has been dropped, kicked, smashed, and tripped over and it still works. i tore the whole thing down a few days ago to crazy glue the internal socket back together when i tripped over it and it fell on the floor. everything still works. my father has an old presario 1681 and it pretty much lives in our shed (dont ask why) and it still works fine. the newer ones just suck though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom