Laptop rebooting on its own when it runs on the battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mx416

Baseband Member
I usually leave my laptop plugged in. But when I unplug it and let it run off the battery, it will shut down, then start back up to the screen that allows you to start in safe mode or start normally. Even if I am not doing anything on it it will restart, but only if running off the battery. The battery has a good charge so it's not that, but I have no idea what else might be wrong.
I am runnig XP also.

Possibly a bad connection somewhere on the battery terminals.
Take battery out & check the contacts on the battery & on the laptop.

I cleaned out the battery contacts and it is still doing it. I have no idea what to do now.

I need to reinstall xp because its full of crap and its just that time. When the computer is plugged in the AC, you can't go through the xp install, the buttons don't respond, and the computer locks up. But as soon as I unplug it and let the computer run off the battery, the buttons respond just fine. But now the computer just restarts itself at the screen where you select which partition you want to install xp on. Arghh I hate this computer.

Is it an older laptop? I've not heard of these symptoms being caused by this, but maybe the battery is going bad (common for older machines). Maybe the battery isn't providing a constant power source. If your computer's pretty new, it's not likely that this is the problem.

Problem solved

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my laptop. I had one of my dads employees check it out for me. First, the battery was shot. Also the guy who owned it before me tried to redo the cooling paste or whatever it is on the board and left the celophane on. It was something like that. But that caused it to overheat and shut down. Basically the computer is trashed :angry: So now I need to to find a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom