Having some issues, possibly power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyc

In Runtime
I'm having some seriously weird crashes and stuff lately and I've run tests on my memory, checked my voltages, watched my fans and temps, and none of that has anything to do with it...

so now I'm wondering, what kind of power supply would you expect on a PC like this?

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53
Stock heat sink/fan (not overclocked)
2 512MB PC3200 DDR memory (1024 total)
2 GeForce 6600GT video cards
2 hard drives (1 IDE, 1 SATA)
2 optical drives (1 DVD, 1 DVD-RW)
1 PCI card
5 USB connections
5 case fans

Any suggestions?

well for a strong system like that, you need at least a 500watt psu or higher.
what is your cureent psu?
if you are having random crashes it is probaly a psu problem like you said.

phosho510 said:
well for a strong system like that, you need at least a 500watt psu or higher.
what is your cureent psu?
if you are having random crashes it is probaly a psu problem like you said.

I really think a 500watt PSU is not nessascary. A good 420watt thermaltake or something would do for that system. However currently, what kind of power supply are you running and what are your voltages (measured with multimeter please)

Im thinking if his power supply is decent, that it's probolly or the cpu being unstable.

I have a 450W PS however it's pretty much garbage, it was included with the case so that's why I kind of came to the assumption that it's the problem.

I doubt it's the CPU being unstable - that just wouldn't make any sense. It's just losing power. There's no system errors or blue screens or anything like that - just power outage. Windows doesn't register that anything in particular happened, it just restarts.

try a new psu like 450-500 if that doesent solve ur problem try ur motherboard usualy motherboards crash if they cant handle ur prosseses..

well the thing is, a friend of mine has basically the same setup (A8N-SLI, AMD 64 3800+, stock hs/fan, 2x GeForce 6600GT, 420W PS (Antec), 2 hds, 2 optical drives, 3 case fans), 1GB memory (same type as mine), 2 usb connections, no pci cards. He hasn't had a problem at all.

I'm going to try the OCZ 520W if I can find it locally.. it seems like a rare item but I really want to fix this issue.

Specifications
System Requirements

Pentium® III/4/Celeron™ or AMD® Athlon®/Duron® AGP 2.0 or later AGP slot 128MB of system memory Installation software requires CD-ROM drive minimum 300W system power supply An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient). DVD playback requires DVD drive Recommended Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon® XP AGP 3.0 Slot

I dont know what make your card is, but I got this from the XFX website. Minimum of 300watts. thats a bare minimum. and since ur running two, plus everything else in the computer, I'd go for a lot more

dhw200 said:
Specifications
System Requirements

Pentium® III/4/Celeron™ or AMD® Athlon®/Duron® AGP 2.0 or later AGP slot 128MB of system memory Installation software requires CD-ROM drive minimum 300W system power supply An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient). DVD playback requires DVD drive Recommended Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon® XP AGP 3.0 Slot

I'm not sure what system requirements you were looking at, but SLi has nothing to do with AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom