virus damaged Windows98!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gengen

Solid State Member
A girlfriend asked me to check for viruses on her PC(her anti-v had ended its license). Ran Spybot search and destroy to clean it up. She had more than 100!!
Conclusion: some weren´t able to be deleted, and at restart W98 asked for serial.
The problem is: the guy that sold her PC riped her off, because he didn´t gave her the Microsoft W98 CD, so she doesn´t have the serial.
How can I acess the data she wants to recover?

Terencentanio, it is NOT allowed to provide serial numbers! Tech-Forums will not tolerate illegal activities on this forum. Consider this a warning and do not do this again.

Gengen, you should consider contacting Microsoft. If this was legally purchased software, then they should be able to help you. There are computers sold with the software pre-installed and usually a rescue CD is provided. It depends on where you buy the computer. If it was a store, you may want to go back there and ask for them to provide the disk.

Dave :D

*cough* There're links to warez all over this site? And it wasn't just any serial, it was MY serial... the one I have on a certificate of authenticity sat right infront of me...

Bahj. Can't even help folk these days without getting shit thrown in yer face.

Apologies anyways :D

There're links to warez all over this site?

If you are referring to the bittorent sites...posting those are not illegal since you can use those to download legal linux distros and stuff.

As to the others, we are trying to crack down but it's SLOW going. We haven't had a Security TEAM for very long. Liz

Heh. You'll find it's best to limit it, or legalize it, rather than kill it.

Let's look at the situation:

People are posting links to warez all over the site. It's hard to control, or catch up with, or whatever. This reflects badly on the site from the outside, and if anyone clicks the links, you can be deemed as supporters of warez.

Now, there're two ways to tackle it.

1) Go around with your torch and pitch fork, deleting it all, thus enraging people and losing members. Hard work, not very effective.

2) Create a private forum where only people you trust can post. It's a warez request/supply forum, only for 'emergancies' you could say. It's moderated by only a few people. IF links are posted here, they cannot be live - only text. That way, if people click the links, there's no trace of you on any warez referal logs. Effective, easy, keeps everyone happy.

I know which I'd go with ;)

However, this isn't MY forum...I'm not in charge, LOL...so I just go around and make sure that I do what I can to limit the damage...if it's truly illegal what they are posting, I'll *stomp* on it...unfortunately, your's was one of those. If it's something like a bittorent site, I'll moderate what is posted. If it's something like a kazaa or limewire thread...I'll get into the discussion. Liz

well, i guess this means you guys can´t help me.

And as for the sugestion of going to the store...
I would take it, if I could. The store is already closed which only confirms my suspicions that the guy that runned it its a thief. Bankrupcy, they say.

As for the software, it was legally purchased.
But illegally sold.

Can´t believe the lack of faith on people´s honesty.
I didn´t ask for any serial.
I only asked if somebody could solve my problem.

Just because I came here and ask for help doesn´t mean it´s illegal software. If it were such a case I would probably adress myself to one of those "crack-serial" sites.

Anyway, thanks for the help provided, Terencentanio.
Keep up the fight against censorship :)

As for the admin and team leaders that interviened they could be more helpful. I mean, aside the sugestion above referred, they offered me no clue.

We didn't say YOU had illegal software...what we did was stop the passing of a serial #.

I'm sorry you were bambozzeled. If you paid by cc, you do have a way to go after him for fraud. That would at least get your money back for the amount you paid. And you can report the store to M$ for selling you illegal software. Liz

What you can do to get her info off her hard drive if you are willing...

Take her hard drive and put it on YOUR computer and transfer the critical stuff to a folder onto yours. Then when she has enough money or can reformat, she can get that info back from you. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom