Old Computer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbienthehouse

Baseband Member
I recently was bored on a weekend so I decided to put together my old computer, about five years old. After a few delays, and taking the computer out of its case, I finally got it working and preceded to install windows 98 and then hoping to upgrade to XP. After I had installed windows 98, I decided to put the computer back in the case. In doing so something went wrong. Now, when I turn on the computer, there is no signal going to the monitor. I've messed with the graphics card and other components but nothing seems to correct this problem. So I then took the motherboard and parts out of the case and resembled them. Now when when I turn it on, neither the graphics or the cd-rom seems to function. When I put the power supply into the cdrom, it works, but when I plug the ribbon into it, I get no response. This is an old computer, I won't get really mad if I can't fix it, I'm just trying to set up a network in my house. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

if you can't get a display up because of a problem with the video card, the post test will be stuck at this point & won't have got as far as initializing the drives. This should explain why the CD won't respond with the ide cable plugged in.

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except the video, CPU, RAM (& keyboard & PSU obviously). Make sure the baords not shorting out on anything if it's out of the case & clear the Bios.

It might help if you are able to connect the PC speaker as well for any beep codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom