NV Silencer 5: First take

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotec

Fully Optimized
So I got back from out of town and had my NV Silencer 5 waiting for me. I couldn't wait so I went straight to installing it.

The overall install wasn't bad. The 6 Step instruction sheet that came with it was pretty lame as it skips quite a few steps, but it really wasn't hard to figure out. Basically, take off the old unit and screw in the new one.

I got the thermal paste/pad junk that was on the GPU and memory chips off easily and applied Artic Silver 5. The instructions said to apply a thin layer to the GPU and a thicker layer to the memory chips. I got that on and screwed in the NV5. Reinstalled the video card and turned on the computer. I instantly checked the GPU temperature, and what do I see, 112C!!!!! So of course I freak out and turn off the computer.

I took the card back off and took off the NV5 and I look at the bottom of it and it basically had zero past on the part that is supposed to make contact with the GPU, and excess where it contacts the memory chips. I cleared some of the paste off the memory chips and applied a thicker layer to the GPU. I turn it back on...

This time is sat at about 70C idle, well this is about where I was at with stock. Played some CSS and it was hitting in the 90's, also about stock levels. So of course I am still not satisfied.

I take it back off and see it is making some contact but not that great. Sooooo, I apply a thicker layer of AS5, and reinstall.

Well, to make a long story longer, it is now idling around 60C, and after an hr or so of CSS topped out at 77C (was hitting 95C stock!!), much better.

I am happy with the results at this point, but am still not confident I am getting the best results possible. A couple questions: Do I loose performance with a thick layer of AS5? Should I try thicker and see if it still continues to help? With AS5, should I see increased performance after a "burn in" period?

Thanks

It sounds like the issue is simply it's not being pressed down firm enough and making good contact with the GPU...a thick layer of TIM is never advised..thinner is better.

I'm looking up some info on that silencer to see if there's been reports of such problems or of anyway for it to make better contact. That thing needs to be firmly pressing on the GPU

Thanks for the quick reply. I felt the same way about the thickness of the AS5, but it was the only way I could get it to work. I don't have the link off hand, but I do remember a review of the same problem. He sanded it where it makes contact with the mem chips to help it out, but I really don't feel like doing that. I have it screwed down firmly, but definately don't want to overtighten either.... hmmm.....

~edit~ I was too slow! Thanks for the link.

well it seems like your idle and load temps are down, so perhaps it's just best to leave it.

Yeah, I will have to think about. Taking the what he said "hours" to take a file to it right now doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun. I will have more time this weekend if I get a hair and decide to take it back out and look at it. Like you said, at least at this point it is reducing the temps. I cranked it back up to 434/1120 so it time to see how the load temps are with some OC action!

I know this is an old ass thread, but I just thought I would give an update incase anyone was thinking about getting this product.

After a good break-in period, my load temps are down to ~72c. This is very impressive considering I was in to 90's before on stock cooling. With it OC'd to ultra speeds, it loads at ~75c.

So all in all I lowered my load temps by more than 20c! And it is quiet as hell! I would definately recommend this product to anyone with a 6800 series GPU.

Well you should only add as much paste as is needed to firmly and completely conduct the surfaces together. The shorter path through the medium the heat takes the easier it is to dissapate,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom