power up/down software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
It was mentioned that there is software where you can schedule your pc to power up, and then shut down, with out being there to do it. I am going away for a while, and would like to have my pc record tv shows for me, but not to have it running all the time, because the power is going to be cut once or twice. Is there some type of software that does this? Has any one tried anything like this?

Thanks for any help.

I was about to post a thead about this too.

I am looking for software that will shutdown a PC at certain times of the day.

there are several problems with this concept. for staters, I don't know of anything that will bring a system up at a specific time, unless you are talking about wake on lan, but that requires you to have a machine setup external to that machine running a scheduled process. As for the shutdown, that can be done in a number of ways.
in XP there is a tool called shutdown.exe running that will shutdown the machine. there are a few options with it like /r is for a reboot, and you can pass a time lapse for how long before reboot occurs, things like that.
You can also user the Rundll32.exe to do it. Here is a link to a bunch of functions for it.
http://www.dx21.com/SCRIPTING/RUNDLL32/REFGUIDE.ASP?ISF=0&P=A

my 2 cents on this... I'll see if I can find you some more info when It's a bit slower at the office....

haven't tried it, myself.. and honestly I dont know how it could possibly work without support via bios... but they are selling it..

to turn on your computer at a set time your motherboard must have a turn on by alram feature. consult your manual to see if yours has one. another way to do it is what Inaris is talking about with wake-on-lan or wake-on-modem. you send a magic packet that tells your network card to turn on your computer. some programs can schedule the wakeup at a time you set.

to turn off, hibernate, sleep, or suspend your computer you can use this http://yasoft.km.ru/eng/switchoff/ if you shut your machine down make sure to set it to "force apps to close"

shoteng.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom