AGP question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Adame

Beta member
I recently bought several components to do a huge upgrade on my pc. I bought a P4P800-E Deluxe mobo, 3.2GHz P4 (w/hyper-threading, 800fsb, 1MB L2 Cache), and an eVGA FX5500 256MB DDR 8x/4x AGP vid card, and 1GB of Dual Channel DDR. I began putting it all together yesterday and thought I'd be up and running in no time but I ran into a little problem. The instructions for my mobo states that it only works with 1.5v vid cards but when I looked at the back of the vid card, the label states that it runs on 2.5v. Before I even bought the vid card, I called a store to ask if that card would be compatible with my mobo and the sales guy said yes. I would think they would be compatible considering that my mobo will take 8x AGP cards and the vid card I bought is a 8x/4x AGP card. Now I'm stuck trying to return this card and find a card that will work with my mobo. Any suggestions?

Don't listen to the Salesman and find a 1.5 v and 8x agp card. I don't think the volts are compatiable, but i could be wrong (that's what v stands for, right?)

emeraldice said:
Don't listen to the Salesman and find a 1.5 v and 8x agp card. I don't think the volts are compatiable, but i could be wrong (that's what v stands for, right?)

That's what i think they mean

well i have a suggestion about the mobo u shud have bought SE the one i got p4p800se its the second edition same as e deluxe but improved ur mobo has a 4 out of 5 on new egg rating and mine has a 5 out of 5

Return the card for full price before you start running into time limits. The worst that'll happen is that you'll have to rebuy it. Better than burning an extra 150 on another one.

It will work dude. Pop it in and run it. You won't have any problems. It's a fairly recent AGP board with a not so recent AGP card. it will be fine

I dont think they ever made 2.5 volt cards? I thought it was 1.5 and three.

Pop it in, he's the one who said it was compatiable. Undervolting a card will not destroy it.

DJ-CHRIS said:
I dont think they ever made 2.5 volt cards? I thought it was 1.5 and three.

Pop it in, he's the one who said it was compatiable. Undervolting a card will not destroy it.

It's not the card I'm so worried about. I read the instruction manual for the motherboard and that's where it warns that a card other than a 1.5v card will damage the motherboard. I've only heard of the 1.5v and 3.xv also but I don't want to take any chances.

BTW, thanks to everyone for all of the input and advice.

Meh, I'm tellin you dude...if it's an AGP8x (AGP 3.0) slot, that card will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom