Gpu help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
i know this question is a little noobish but what makes a 500 dollar gpu better than a 200 dollar gpu. is there anything other than fps? and wouldent there be a limit to where you could notice a difference in fps? it seems like a card that has 350 fps wouldent be any worse than one with 500 because you wouldent notice the extra 150. ( i realise there are no cards with 500 fps)

Thanks!

Ya you make a good point. A card that gives you 150 fps is not going to look any different than 70 fps.

BUT, when you go to play a graphically intense game like Doom 3, a cheap card wont be able to break 60 fps (which is approximately where the human eye stops noticing anything different).

I think the point of getting a fancy vid card that surpasses the needs of any current games is for 1)Bragging rights. 2)Ability to play future games that will require higher graphics processing power.

Elbatrop1 said:

I think the point of getting a fancy vid card that surpasses the needs of any current games is for 1)Bragging rights. 2)Ability to play future games that will require higher graphics processing power.

The problem is that number two won't be applicable as you will probably upgrade the card for reason number one well before any games need the capabilities of the current card. Ahh the vicious cycle continues.

And with that "clear as mud" statement the clock has struck five and I get to go home. :p :D

$500 cards will be able to play games on higher settings without sacrificing framerate, that is what seperates them from $200 cards.

If you want to get really technical, core speed, memory speed, pipelines and overall architechture are what seperate the cards. Games and other high demanding graphics applications will always require the fastest (and generally the most expensive) cards availible for the best performance at the highest settings.

for some people it may be the case that the $500 card will make a differance but for me i can run doom3 on ultra settings with my 6600GT ($200 card)

$500 cards will be able to play games on higher settings without sacrificing framerate, that is what seperates them from $200 cards.
Exactly.

run doom3 on ultra settings with my 6600GT
I have a real hard time believing that unless it's 800x600 resolution with no AA at all.

just cuz you can run it on ultra settings doesnt mean u can play it at ultra esttings .... have fun with the 3fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom