Missing System32 Folder (Rut-roh!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
While working on her term paper due the next day, my friend claimed her printer jammed up and couldn't restart her Dell laptop running Windows XP. So she kills the power and reboots. Upon reboot, a message appears saying:
"the following folder has been corrupted or is missing."
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
"Press 'r' to enter the XP Recovery Console to attempt to repair the missing folder."

I did so, using the supplied XP Install/Restore disk. Upon entering the repair console, I'm taken to a screen where I select the drive I want to "operate" on (C: ). I choose option 1, the C: drive, and I get a command prompt. From there I don't know what the heck to do.

I'm not sure that she may have mistakenly deleted or moved this folder, so I don't know what brought this on unless the OS/HD is crashing.

Keep in mind that reformatting is a last resort, and would preferably be avoided if there is any way of repairing this.

Thanks in advance.

That looks good. Can't wait to give it a shot when I get home from work. I may have to get her to sign a waiver just in case that wipes everything out. :p

Try the install option. It should give you a repair or restore option after that. It should reload the os without formating and keep all other files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom