Administrator and default user acount

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElise

Baseband Member
Morning all,

Just a quick question.. hopefully save me formatting a pc and testing it myself.

If i format a pc and install windows from scratch, complete the setup and enter my name as the first user.

The pc will log me in and create a user account called "me" for example.

IF i then go directly into the

"c:\documents and settings" folder and copy my version of the default user profile over the top of the existing default profile will the default settings i have copyied over to the default user profile be copied to the administrator account when i log in for the first time? If i crate a new acount called "test" it will automaticlally copy over the defualt user settings allowing me to have set standards eg. wallpaper etc for all accounts created on this pc.

Basically my question is, as this does it for newly created accounts by pulling the defualt user settings from that folder will the administrator account use the same settings when i log in for the FIRST time to the administrator account?

I understand if i add a default user profile now my admin account will not change, but i think when you log into the admin account for the first time it must create the account settings by pulling them from somewhere ie. the defualt user profile?? therefore if i add this prfile before i ever log into the admin account will it create the account with the new default user settings..

Im really sorry for writing this over and over but to be honest i keep reading what i have typed and it does not seem to be very clear, ill appologise for that now.. ;)

I hope you all understand and hope you can help or let me know if i am way off the mark or if there is any way i can have the admin account load up with the default user settings i have stored away rather than have to go through and set up the settings for the admin account every time i set up a new pc.

God i dont seem to be making sense this morning... HELP>> :) lol

Take it easy

Cheers Everyone

Elise

thanks for the response..

Thanks for the link but i think my description was not so good because it didnt really tell me what i needed to know, (I blame that on my poor description of my problem).

I have created a default user profile and use it sucsessfully every day when i build new pc's, however what i was trying to get accross was that when i get a new pc and install windows i have to go through manually and set up the administrator account to match my default user profile.

for example if my default user prfile was just "blue desktop wallpaper" when a user logs on it will give them "blue desktop wallpaper". HOWEVER when i log on as administrator it will give me the standard wallapaper "bliss" for example. Which means i have to set the admin account up manually on every pc i build to match the default user profile, and my prifile has alot more changes than "blue desktop wallpaper" so it takes me over 2 hours of tinkering on every pc just to set up an admin account that only gets user once in a blue moon.

So is there away for the admin account to pull the same user settings as my default user profile.?

Anyone?

Ohh I get you now. Sorry I cant be of more help to you. If you work in a large network env a good solution for you would be purchasing a Norton Ghost Cast Server. I have this and it rocks! When we recieve our new batch of Dells in I simply push the images over the network to these new machines and literally in a matter of 10 minutes I have 10 new computers setup with all the software they will need to perform there duties and all service packs, firewall settings, policy tweaks, backgrounds etc etc..

Not sure if you are in an enterprise though that will pay for all your purchases :)

Have you tried applying the default user profile? What happens the settings just dont take? I wouldnt see why the admin account would be any different, but they may indeed lock it down for security reasons. So when you first setup the PC and logon as the first user you create say USER then copy your default profile over to the replace the current default "default user profile". The FIRST time the admin account logs in I thought it did pull info for the default profile.

Hi again, looks like its only you who understands my problem.. :)

Thanks for helping though, i appreciate it.

We do use Zen for imaging our pcs however because we do make a lot of masters for different machines and this is the part that is very time consuming for me.

For example if you bought a new dell "gx300" (i made that up) and you had to make a master clone, would you not rather just copy over a default user profile and settings files rather than actually manually go in and edit them one by one. This would save a huge amount of time depending on how many masters you create and how tied down your systems are.

now so far the gpedit folder gets copied over, so my policies are set, the default user flder goes over so my desktop settings are set, however things like automatic updates, start up and recovery times, memory dump, etc etc are not held in the default user profile and they do not get carried over. so i still have to go in a tinker even 5 minuties is too long for me. I should not need to tinker at all. I should be able to go copy.... paste.... reboot....clone....issue.

Cheers again, let me know what you think

aghh! That makes perfect sense I may actually use that. We usually get the same makes so making a clone isnt required to often, but I will keep this in mind so when I do have to build more master clones it can be cherry pie.

"I should be able to go copy.... paste.... reboot....clone....issue."

agghhh sounds soo soo lovely :)

I will setup a sandbox at work and have a go at her over the weekend while I am ughh..administrating the network ;) Then I will tell you my findings and perhaps compare notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom