Jumpers!! Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supei

Solid State Member
Hello all,

All but have my new/old rig back up and running. Just got everything all set up after replacing a few things I didnt think I needed to replace.

Anyways, I am getting all the way to the memory check. I get the "energy star" logo, the press "del" to enter set up, etc. But I dont get any further. I get the hd led going, but no actual boot. And it wont allow set up either.

Everything seems perfect except I cant actually get the HD to take the next step. I think its the jumpers.

I went to the IBM site (forwarded to Hitachi) and still cant seem to figure it out. I also cant seem to find my exact model. The HD does have a jumper setting sticker on the back, but me and my rookie mind still dont get it.

Coorect me if I am wrong here:

#1 IDE cable into IDE1 on my mobo
#2 Grey plug (end one) into my CD drive
#3 Black plug (middle) into my HD

Before I try another 1000 jumper combinations, do I at least have the cables right?

Almost forgot:
Only one HD and cd rom.
Athlon 2200xp
Gigabyte mobo, k7 triton
1 gig ram
gforce 4200 ti 128 vid
crative 512 sound
ibm 80 gig, 7200 hd, ata
windows xp pro

Thanks guys! HELP THIS NEWB!!

Well you've got your CD-Rom as the master and the HD as the slave. You need to either have your jumpers on both set to CS (cable select) or manually set them to Master w/ Slave and then the other as Slave. The top of the HD and CD-Rom will tell you what jumper settings will activate what meaning master, slave, CS, or whatever.

i think i have an idea where you went wrong. try using a differnt ide cable the hdd and a differnt one for the cd drive. make sure that they are both plugged in as black wich is master. what has been changed since they were last in?

hd n cd can go on the same cable but its better if u get one on each... ur mobo shoulda come with a few extras

Yeah sticker on top of the HD should give you all the info on what is what. While it is best have each device on a seperate cable, its not required. Sometimes there is a sticker on cd drives too, but half the time its just abreviated as CS/MA/SL, occationally its C/M/S. I've never seen a problem relating to cable position, so I think your good there.

This usually doesn't stop the boot process, its more of a long pause and then lists no drives, so this could be a different problem. If your still havin probs then remove the cable from the MB and see if you can get to the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom