Nortons Personal FW 2003 allows NO net access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piney

In Runtime
The problem has me puzzled, the client downloaded SP2, which corrupted her Nortons fw. We were unable to get Nortons repaired, ended up uninstalling the Nortons Personal Firewall as well as her Nortons AV (both 2003) including using the uninstall tools from Symantec. We then uninstalled SP2 (after trying 3 times to install Nortons back on her puter with various failures).
SP2 was then re-installed, and then Nortons AV was installed and then the Nortons FW was installed. Client is able to do updates to her Nortons, but must disable the fw to do so. Client is unable to access any online areas with firewall enabled. (what good is that firewall?) The firewall has been reconfigured, twice now. With the firewall OFF, I can do a remote to her computer, and then can turn on the firewall, which shuts off her Messenger, but leaves me on her desktop. Any and all help would be appreciated. Oh, Nortons will not help as it is 2003 products, tho they didn't hesitate to take her money to renew the subscription :(

Is Windows Firewall enabled? SP2 would have probably re-enabled it if it turned off before, and this may explain the problems you are having as the two will conflict.

to disable it, make sure you're logged in as administrator, then type Firewall.cpl from the run command on start menu. On the general tab, click OFF.

The Windows fw was the first thing checked, then checked many times (thought being it may have been enabled automatically).

However, the problem has been fixed (wouldn't you know that the minute I posted, after weeks of messing about with this, we'd find the fix.

I had the client remove all items from the Program Controls list in the Nortons fw, reboot, stay offline while running the Program scan, then come back online making no changes to Nortons designation of Automatic, Permit, Custom, or Block.

wheeeeeeeee she is able to access everywhere *grin* No, make that a sheepish grin, as I should have thought of it before.

One happy client, one relieved helper:)

Thank you for having this forum here, I've found many articles and posts that will be so helpful:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom