I need troubleshooting help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musjunk22

Daemon Poster
I recently put together a comp for my friend (specs below) and instead of buying a new hdd and cd/dvd drives I removed them from his old Sony VAIO. I went to install WinXP home and after doing the mandatory restart needed after formatting, the Windows installer does not boot from the hdd at all, its stuck at the "Verifying DMI pool data........" page, He has a 120GB 7200 RPM Seagate hdd from his VAIO.

So yesterday my friend went and bought another WinXP home and tried to install that but after formatting when win has to copy the instller files to the drive right before it restarts he gets errors saying "cannot copy xxxx.xxx file hit esc to skip, hit enter to retry" I've seen these before and I think the hdd is at fault. Is there anythihng else causing the problem? The hdd is very good and I would hate to tell my friend he needs to buy a new one.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939pin newcastle
SOLTEK "SL-K8TPro-939" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Mobo
PQI Turbo Series PC3200 RAM 512MB
WinXP Home Full

It's most likely the drive or CD. However to check the hard drive try running seagates diagnostic utility.

It can't be the cd drive we tried two different ones and we get the same problem, we even had two Windows discs, same problem. I'll run the utility and see if that works, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom