network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh not wireless, and yea firewall is on the router.

sometimes when i look at the modem, it goes into red lights *not working that means*

its wierd.. i feel as if the router is a piece of garbage and i need a new one.

altho it costed me 100 dollars canadian, that sux. Down with US robotics.

i don't think kboy realizes you have already fixed your problem ;)

and btw spfd, yes the router saves the settings from your network but not in the way you are thinking. it saves admin passwords, configuration settings like port forwarding. they also store MAC and IP adresses until they expire or the machine is disconnected from the network anyways.

i am sure the problem you had was due to invalid IP address on your network. i might not have the correct technical explaination, but i have the general idea of whats happening. if anyone sees mistakes please correct me. let me clarify:

your computers each requested IP adresses from the router which probably also acts as a DHCP server that handles the IP addressing.

those IP addresses given to each machine has a lease time, that is, a time when you can no longer use that IP address. each machine stores the IP address assigned by the DHCP server, in this case your router, until the lease expires.

when you reset the router it all the configurations were deleted. your computers still think they are using valid IP address, but the router does not acknowledge them since it's routing database was deleted. doing a release and renew will fix the problem. although i think it's better to disable ane re-enable the network connection.

during the releasing process the computer releases , or stops using the IP address and broadcasts a message on the network asking the DHCP server to give that machine a new IP address. the router acknowledges the request and issues a new IP address (renewing).

so now when the machine tries to use the network the dhcp server ackowledges the machine's request because it checks it's routing table and sees that the machine requesting permission matches the info it has in the routing table and grants it the appropriate permissions to access the network.

-------------------------------------------
if someone with networking knowledge could check the accuracy of this info that would be great.

$100 canadian??
my router cost that much in USD!
...then again, it IS wireless.

ahh, the things 18 year-olds will buy to get net access in their own room... XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom