ram issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerigorn

In Runtime
ok, ive got the rig below. my mobo recently went out, so i rma'd it and newegg sent me another one. the new board and the old one, before it died, wont run two stick of ram. with one kingston stick in, everything's peachy, but with two, i cant get past the hardware scan and load windows. i never had this problem, it spontaneously appeared one day.

Are you positive that the ram is in working condition? Have you tested the ram on a different PC? Depending on what fried the motherboard (ie: power surge) it may have destroyed the ram, in which case I'd run memtest86 on both sticks.

Make sure you have the ram around the right way, not what you think! I know you can only put them in one way, try swapping the two sticks over so that each piece of ram is in the otherones place.

Motherboards will only accept the biggest one in slot 1, and the smaller one in slot 2. Make sure you have them correctly installed, and seated in the holder.

Sorry....

other than that one stick has blown, have you tried just using 1 stick, then taking it out and using the otherone on its own? If so and it worked then there sumit wrong with the capatibility of your RAM. (Someone tell me if this is wrong)

check yer manual, some mobo's require you to put RAM sticks in certain slots...to boot up correctly...

like 1 and 3

and 2 and 4

sometimes that is the problem.

Motherboards will only accept the biggest one in slot 1, and the smaller one in slot 2.
That's no true. Unless the mobo specifically states otherwise it should be able to use the RAM no matter the slot and/or size.

check yer manual, some mobo's require you to put RAM sticks in certain slots...to boot up correctly...

like 1 and 3

and 2 and 4

sometimes that is the problem
Generally thats just for dual channel use, not just booting up in general.

What brand are the two sticks and what are their specs? Meaning how fast they are and what timings they are running.

If you can boot using each stick individually then use CPU-Z to get the info with each stick regarding brand name, stock MHz and timings.

1Gb Kingston Hyper-x pc3200, not sure about the timings, note: the ram ran fine for about 6 months and then it started acting up, i never change out the positions, i never even took them out of the mobo, could it be bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom