Bios & Cmos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohan Giri

In Runtime
Can anybody tell me

What is BIOS? & What is CMOS? What is the relationship between CMOS & BIOS?
What is the function of BIOS & CMOS?

Cisco says

Basic Input / Output System. The program stored in a ROM chip in the computer that provides the computer with basic code to control the computerÂ’s hardware and perform diagnostics on it. The BIOS prepares the computer to load the operating system.

Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor. A type of semiconductor that requires very little power. Personal computers use this device to store the date, time, and system.

Also, the BIOS is where you can change any hardware settings built onto your mobo, such as disabling your Parallel, serial, and other ports you might not need for faster boot and overall better performance, particularly in ur mobo FSB. 2nd, its where u overclock ur cpu, videocard, and RAM.

idk what the CMOS is for other than what i stated above

Thanks for ur information "Deadweight". But I need some more information. Can u tell me?????

Tell me the relationship or common factors between BIOS & CMOS. That is both has some responsibity while the system booting process. What are the functions BIOS will do and CMOS will do and when they do their task???

The BIOS is stored on the CMOS chip. BIOS, like deadweight said, is the Basic Input/Output System, it is what lets the operating system 'talk' to some devices, such as hard drives, floppy drives and cd-roms.

Elbatrop1 u are wrong. CMOS is a kind of RAM chip. But BIOS is a kind of ROM chip. So how its possible to store BIOS program in CMOS chip?? Both have separate chip. But they both will take part in booting process. What process they both will do while booting???

Taken from http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=623

BIOS, or as to say, Basic Input Output System is stored in an EEprom who we use to call "Flash Rom" or "Flash Chip".
This chip needs NO external power to maintain the stored data.
It also "Tells" the OS at bootup who and what is placed / connected in each slot / to each connector.
The stored data in this EEprom is maintained for over ten years without any batteries and / or power.

CMOS, or as to say, Complementairy Metal Oxide Semiconductor IS a RAM chip who is buffered by the onboard cell.
So, it is called Cmos setup, beceause the chip itself is a Cmos type.
Cmos is by far the best memory type for storing data who had to be maintained for long periods without a huge battery.
This is the place where the user parameters for the BIOS are stored.

BIOS settings are indeed stored in CMOS, however the BIOS setup itself is stored in EEprom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom