Windows XP won't detect my modem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uneek78

Beta member
I have a Sony VAIO PCG-FX215. I have been reading around and I'm finding out that people uprading Sony VAIO's are having a difficult time getting Windows XP to detect there modem. So, I realized that I needed Windows compatible drivers to make this happen. Sony provided drivers on their website supposedly available to deal w/ this problem. Windows XP will not open up the download for these drivers!!! Help!!! Windows XP is sooo stubborn!!! It won't let me use dial-up. Plus, when I try the suggested methods to fix the problem, they all direct me to the modem settings, but Windows XP doesn't even show that a modem exists on my laptop. I know it's there because I have Windows ME on another partition of the same exact laptop and it dials up all the time to my ISP all the time. Please help!!!! I have one laptop. The drive is partitioned in two. ME on one side and XP on the other. I can connect with ME w/ my modem using dial-up or LAN. I can connect my Windows XP side to the LAN at my workplace(the hospital), but not by modem(dial-up). So, I downloaded the supposed drivers over there, but when attempting to open them up, XP denies access (Message>SEVERE: OpenFile 1 Failed). This is crazy! I pay all this money for this useless software. It's really annoying. Somebody please help!!!!!!

Hmmm,,, seems to me that you missed a NUMBER of steps,, on researching the product,, Sony outlines it quite clearly that this is NOT a simple "just run the modem driver install"

I got this from the SONY site,,

When installing Windows XP, it is strongly recommended to do so in the following order:
1. (BEFORE)Before installing Windows XP, download the Modem Driver, install the BIOS Update and run the Sony System Preparation Utility.
2. Perform a "Upgrade Install" of Microsoft Windows XP Home.
3. Install the Device Driver Updates.
4. Install the Sony Software Libraries.
5. Install the Sony Applications and Utilities.
6. Install the Other Update Utilities.
(For convenience, you may wish to download all of the updates in advance and save them on the hard drive for later installation.)

Check the link,,

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/pc/pcgfx210fx215/windowsxp/

I dont want to sound terrible,, but the VAIO requires MORE prep work to get it to a position to run/recognize/perform with XP,,

You need to remove the XP install on that partition and then run the updates, However, you may want to ensure that the ME install that you have wont be interferred with,,,

It seems to me that the Sony is not the worthless piece of machinery that you may feel it is,, the issue here is that you have seemingly NOT followed the directions>> hence the frustration!

You can correct the issue,, it will take some time and some step by step procedures..

You CAN make it work,, just read ..

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom