After Installing New Parts = Problems! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApM

Daemon Poster
Hello, recently I have purchased a new HDD - Maxtor SATA 160GB and a new motherboard - MSI K8N Neo Platinum Nforce3

From when I installed the parts have been having troubles. Here how it goes: I fristly installed the new HDD no probs at all it will get to the boot up screen and the bios settings but when I plug my CD/DVD drives in to IDE slot 1 or 2 (I have tryed both) and set the CD as master and DVD as slave, it will only get to the display logo of the motherboard which says "Platinum" and wont move when i press "DEL" that will get into bios settings it just wont move, when I press "TAB" to get into POST it sometimes goes into POST and sometimes does not,

but when it gets into POST it says, "AMD Processer ... etc etc" so it is reconizing the CPU also it displays the correct RAM but it highlights the RAM with white writing and displays the timing on the ram its as thought it is displaying an error maybe, maybe not but the RAM is PC2100 512 and PC2700 512 both Samsung, it seems as though the CD/DVD Drives arn't reciving any power or commands from the mobo, but I have tested the PSU connecters and tryed them to see if any power is running through them also tryed resetting the CMOS - all I need is for the CD drives to open and I can install the OS it also seems to work when I only have CD drives in and not the HDD, I have tryed alot of things and just can't find the problem, at all.

As I said it gets to the boot up screen but i can't put the OS in to install due to the CD drives arn't working/opening.

Any idea's?, Thanks.

Sounds like your CD or DVD drives are messed, since pressing the button opens the drives if they have power, period. Even without an IDE cable in the drive they open.

Yeah that's what I don't get, they where working in my old mobo. It's strange that both would break just like that?

go into your bios again.

tab over to Boot Order.

click it and make sure to select

Boot 1 = CD-Rom
Boot 2 = HDD
Boot 3 = floppy

click Save & Exit.

or whatever you want in 2 and 3 as long as it is set to boot from CD FIRST!

also, for now, just put in one of the drives, just to be able to load the OS on....after that, then you should install the 2nd drive.

see what happens. are the LED lights on the drives coming on at all?

and i'm sure you've definitely checked that it's actually plugged in right? i don't mean to sound like an arse, just trying to way out all the options first...cause i've done that before!

I've set the Boot order to that, I've tryed that, I've tryed only plugging the CD Drive in by it's self, no luck.

The LED Lights arn't coming on at all, I've never had any of the CD's Open since i installed the new mobo, still no luck. The power is in correctly and still nothing, I'am running out of idea's infact ran out of idea's... ? Anyone? I'am thinking about putting in a RMA for the mobo.

Thanks.

The cd drive opening or not does not depend on the mobo. See if it works without the IDE cable plugged in.

Tryed, doesn't work.

I've tryed with power cable in = no luck.
I've tryed with one drive in - DVD Drive - yes it gets to the boot screen but the CD drive doesn't open so = no luck.
I've tryed both of the Drives it will get to main menu which u can hit "TAB - POST" or "DEL - Bios" hit either one, doesnt work.

No luck again?, Thanks...

before you RMA the mobo back, try to see if you can get a completely different CD-ROM drive first.....test w/ a different drive..if that fails, then i'd say it's a faulty mobo...

Well I checked the drives, I took the CD drive apart and well, it looks as though one of them as burned out all over the chip in-side, then i took the DVD drive apart and couldn't find anything wrong with that but maybe something has broken, I'am not too sure anyways, that will probably be the best bet get a working drive and test it, well thats what i'am going to do tonight so ill tell you how it goes..

Thanks

Problem sloved.

Seem'd to me that both of my CD/R & DVD drives plus HDD where broken from when I removed them out of my old mobo into my new mobo they broken some how, anyways borrowed a drive and now is in working order and soon getting a new drive!

Thanks anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom