Build my own SLI system

Status
Not open for further replies.

uther(UK)

Solid State Member
OK people here goes, ive decided to take the plunge and build my own SLI system, after all in at the deep end is the best way to learn.

Here what ive bought so far.
Akasa Eclipse PC case
Enermax noise taker 600w psu
Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe motherboard
2 gb of pc3200 RAM
2 x Leadtech Winfast px6800GT
AMD athlon 64 FX55
2x SOny DVD/CDRW
1x seagate 120gb SATA drive

Now this lot has cost me £1600s to buy online. so i dont want to mess anything up !!!!

Does any body know of a good build your own modern pc guide, for idiots ??

Secoundly after ive installed the CPU on the motherboard do i have to input the GHZ rating of the CPU into the board via BIOS or does the ASUS auto detect this ?

Secoundly for the heatsink on the CPU is a paste best or a pad?

And lastly when ive put everything together how do i go about instaling the operating system and booting up for the first time?

please be gentle with this PC idiot when answering thanks.

Id link you but Im lazy.

Guru3d.com's forums had a few FAQ sticky threads, and one or two had good "everything you would ever think of" type of guids for a first time builder. Check 'em out.

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/ thers a guide for helping u build a computer. Your motherboard should detect your cpu on its own. I don't know what you mean by "Secoundly for the heatsink on the CPU is a paste best or a pad?". But once u get everything together just make sure u have ur boot config in the bios set to Boot from cd then u just insert the cd of ur os and save the changes to ur bios. Finally u just boot from the cd and its pretty straight forward from ther.

"Secoundly for the heatsink on the CPU is a paste best or a pad?".

i mean the stuff for gettin a good contact between cpu and the heatsink.

But once u get everything together just make sure u have ur "boot config in the bios set to Boot from cd" then u just insert the cd of ur os and save the changes to ur bios. Finally u just boot from the cd and its pretty straight forward from ther.

cheers how do i do that

um..when u start up ur computer it should say something simalar to: Press F12 to Enter Setup. In ther u change ur bios settings. Ther should be a category called Boot Sequence. Enter that and it should say something like: 1. Floppy Drive 2. IDE Hardrive 3. Cd-drive. Change it around to make Cd-drive first. Make sure ur os cd is in ur cd drive. and then exit the setup. and it should boot from ur cd-drive. And the heatsink that comes with the retail version should be great.

Secoundly for the heatsink on the CPU is a paste best or a pad?
If you bought a retail CPU it would have come w/ a fan and heatsink. The heatsink will already have some thermal paste on it. Just use that and you will be fine.

well you can get the book building a pc for dummies, they should have it at a local bookstore. or you can get it online

Use some artic silver 5 paste and a custom heatsink. If you have an FX-55, you obviously have to overclock, if not it's a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom