Using SATA & IDE. IDE overrides SATA as first boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calypso

Beta member
I've just got a new machine with the Leadtek K7NCR18D Pro2 mobo and a Seagate 120 SATA hardrive. I was hoping to hook up my drives (IDE) from my old machine and copy a lot of stuff to the new drive. However when I hook up the the IDE drive it becomes the first boot device and the machine tries to start up from the old WinME loaded on it. This IDE drive is on the secondary IDE channel and is set to Slave. I can't find the SATA drive in the bios so I don't know how to set it as the first boot device. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

well tell me what OS you're using, but basically you can just start up in dos and copy the files over, or just go into your bios settings and change the boot device

did you try looking in the mobo manual?

i think you have to set the first boot device as SCSI to get it to boot off the serial hard disk. should work ;)

Additional info:
Win XP. The system starts from the SATA drive. Only when I install the IDE drive that atomatically becomes the first boot device.

Yep, i set the first boot device to SCSI and the system now boots from that drive. i can now access the ME drive as another storage hardrive. Thanks to all who answered.

no problem buddy, glad to help out. and also as a note, in the bios you should have a setting to manage raid configurations because i assume this has raid support. i do not know if you can set boot order within the raid array. the info should all be in the manual...you did read the manual right? :eek:

Yep i read the manual. info on installing the Sata Driver, overclocking, etc. On boot up there is a message about entering the raid congfiguration menu. I did that, options were "set up raid, delete raid". Not much else on the menu. No info on how to use it to set boot device in the manual. At presernt the machine is working . When I have more time I'll dig into the possibilites available with tis mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom