RAID recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5605

Daemon Poster
RAID recommendations-expert needed

I'm thinking about getting a couple of cheap 40gb hard drives to put on a RAID 0 configuration.
I was considering getting two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-140-118&depa=1

So would I be able to set up a RAID 0 config with two of these on my gigabyte board?
Also master/slave, what does it mean setting drives to one of those, the difference etc.

Lastly, if I have both of these on RAID 0 will I see a large performance increase, close to double the speed or just one drive?

Oh also,
Serial ATA
Serial ATAII
IDE ULTRA ATA100
IDE ULTRA ATA133

I could use some info on what are the differences between these and which is best for what I want, raid 0 and speed.

Dale5605, you would see a huge increase w/e your HDD is at work. You want to get Serial SATA HDD, not IDE. For your mobo, yes. If it has a Raid connection, then you plug and go. If not you have to buy a 150$ Raid connection for you PCI slot.

Raid0 kinda works like dual channel memory, or Intels HT. It saves half of the data on each HD, then they both work togather. Getting work done twice as fast.

Kind of like this. Pretend i gave you 100 boxes, then told you to stack them on shelves. Now pretend, i gave you 50 boxes to stack, then i stacked the other 50. What do you think would work faster? Thats how Raid0 works.

Ok well this is the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-268&depa=1

It says:
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices with NV Raid 0/1/0+1
SATA: 4x SATA with NV Raid 0/1/0+1

So that right there tells me that it does NV RAID. I'm assuming NV is just a standard prefix for RAID and that's nothing special? So I can run a normal RAID 0 config?

Few more questions, why is ATA preferable to IDE?

It says my mobo supports 2x ATA 133, does that mean it WILL NOT support ATA100?

Does my mobo support ATAII?

What is the difference between ATA and ATAII, which one is better?

IDE is fine.
My Raid (same type drives but Maxtor) IDE 133 below gets 94.8 MB/s in the benches.

ATA 133 will support ATA 100

dale5605 said:
Ok well this is the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-268&depa=1

It says:
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices with NV Raid 0/1/0+1
SATA: 4x SATA with NV Raid 0/1/0+1

So that right there tells me that it does NV RAID. I'm assuming NV is just a standard prefix for RAID and that's nothing special? So I can run a normal RAID 0 config?

Few more questions, why is ATA preferable to IDE?

It says my mobo supports 2x ATA 133, does that mean it WILL NOT support ATA100?

Does my mobo support ATAII?

What is the difference between ATA and ATAII, which one is better?

Anyone know anything, I'm very curious about this RAID thing, bear with the noobish questions. :p

Thanks for the link lotex, pretty informative.
Anyways if I RAID 0 two 80gb SATA drives, do I make one the master and the other one the slave and that's it? Or do I have to partition one of the drives or anything funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom