Windows explorer in windows XP is messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat75

In Runtime
Dont know how this all started really but here it goes. Sometimes when I try to move a file, or delete a file in windows explorer, it will crash and then I get a message saying "windows explorer has encountered an unexpected error and will now close" ya know, the submit error button thing. So anyways this will reset my taskbar and a few items on my systray as well :confused:

Is there a way I can fix this without re-installing windows? Because the guys at compusa installed windows on this hard drive for me, I dont really have a disc.

first run a checkdisk and defrag. open my computer, right click the C drive, and select properties. when the properties box comes up, select tools and then click the Check Now button. Check both check boxes and click start. Then click Yes at the prompt and reboot. Let the checkdisk run. See if that fixes the problem for you.
let us know...

That is good advice is that does not work out you may wanna try and run sfc /scannow, but only if you can get ahold of an xp disk. This will stop you from having to re-install as well.

I'm trying to get a winXP cd so I can do that SFC thing. Every windows epxlorer replacement I have tried so far is a piece of crap.

did you run the Checkdisk? if so, can you post what the event log recorded for it? will be under application and be under source winlogon.
type eventvwr in the run dialog to load event viewer.

Find a friend with windows xp and copy the explorer.exe onto a floppy or a CD or something and then go to your c:/winxp/system32 and create a copy of explorer.exe, rename it to explorer.exe.bak and copy the new one from your friend over and then reboot. Has worked for me for other problems.

Well it seemed to have worked, I just didnt post here for a while because I wanted to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom