Media Center Pc Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I have a small side business building high quality PC's for people. A new client called me with an interest in a Media Center PC. He has an entertainment room with a 50" plasma TV and 7.1 Surround sound system. He gave me a budget of $2000.00 dollars. Here's what i've come up with. Let me know what you think. Any suggestions?

Cooler Master Cavalier 2 ATX Desktop w/ analog dial.
300watt PSU (I think I might replace w/ 425watt)
Intel P4 640 3.2GHz 800MHz LGA775
MSI "915P COMBO-FR" for LGA775
CORSAIR VS 1GB(2x512MB) DDR2 PC2-4200
(2) SEAGATE 200GB 7200rpm SATA NCQ HDD's in RAID 0
HP DVD640I w/lightscribe
SONY Standard Floppy
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X700 PRO 256MB GDD3 PCI-Express
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro 7.1
Leadtek PVR w/ MCE2005 support
MS Windows Media Center 2005

TOTAL COST including S&H
$1730.00

Any suggestions?

I'd definitely opt for a 425w over a 300w for that system. Also I'd be sure to make sure the PSU has a good strong +12v rail with atleast 20a just to insure the power house of the PC will remain strong.

I assume he won't be overclocking or anything so everything looks good.

Someone might be able to suggest a better graphics card than the X700 pro though but if he's not a heavy gamer anyway then it won't matter.

This client and his wife are in their 50's. So overclocking and gaming isn't an interest to them. They are more interested in be able to digitally record TV shows and put them on DVD, view digital photos on their TV, watch DVD movies, surf the web, check their email..ETC...

The reason i'm going with this case is because it fits perfectly in their entertainment center. The colors also match all of their other components. I'm just not happy with the fact that it only has a 300watt PSU. So, I think i'll replace it with a 425w or may-be a 500w.

Other then that, it's going to be a nice component to their entertainment room. I can't wait to build it and set it up.

I'll make about $300.00 for build and install.

Yeah it's a leadtek PVR

WinFast PVR2000 is your best personal digital video recorder with video editing & authoring. It is the smartest and most effective way of turning your PC into a high definition TV and FM entertainment center.

It allows broadcast TV viewing, stereo FM radio, live video display and video communication on a PC with the finest quality and optimal performance.

lol 50's gotcha, no OC'ing and gaming. Hell you could probably downgrade the graphics card then, but as I said before, besides the PSU everything looks good and I'm sure it will more than suit their needs

I would make a couple suggestions.

I would not put a floppy in a HTPC, it will look like crap, and when would you use it. You won't even need it to install the SATA drives as MCE 2005 comes with SP2 installed.

My other suggestion would be noise levels. I would go for as silent as possible. The stock HSP on the P4's is loud, and so are most vid card fans, and PSU's of course. I would spend some upgrades on "silent parts." It being in the living room and everthing you definately don't want it humming too loud. They even make fanless PSU's, but they're kind of expensive. There are a lot of sites out there but here is an example.

Yes i really don't see a need for a floppy drive in a media center PC. Just another thing to draw power and take up space in the case. Excellent build idea though (425W PSU is definetly recommended). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom