DDR2 prices to match DDR1 by mid year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
From Tom's Hardware Guide:

Chicago (IL) - Semiconductor manufacturer have begun shifting DDR memory output from DDR1 to DDR2. As Tom's Hardware Guide has learned, DDR2 is going mainstream right now and is likely to match DDR1 prices by the end of the second quarter of this year.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050307_130138.html

Sounds good, especially with AMD about to add support for DDR2.

Excellent, I'm glad I decided to hold off building for a while, I figured DDR2 would bust into the scene sometime this year, and that's pretty good timing for me. :)

Mmm, r520 cores, dual cores, and DDR2, I'm pumped! Woo!

I'll be ready to ugprade approx a year or more from now...sucks though...I'll never get to fully utilize these patriot sticks, cause currently gaming just doesn't like my FSB at 235, or even above 200 for that matter don't know why....I'd need a 64 system so that they'd run nice with a high HTT, buuuut by the time I upgrade I'm lookin to get a dual core CPU, then i'll have to get DDR2 memory and a new PCI-E card.....BAH!!! It's good that the hardware is progressing, but damn, they've made like 3 hardware changes that just completely make you have to buy all new stuff...whereas in the past it might be a socket upgrade, but you still have your RAM and card...now you gotta have $1000+ closer to $1500 if you want a good machine.

Good socket 939 mobo (and I hope that dual core mobiles cross over to socket 939 because I'll definitely go the mobile route in the future muchlike the XP's), get 1gb of DDR2 memory (after having a gig I want nothing less ever again lol) and a new graphics card...man I better start saving up now

DJ-CHRIS said:
Im with ya on this nubius, my high end system from xmas is now antique'd
Yeah, totally. I was originally going to build a new system just after Christmas (hence the reason I joined here for research purposes), then I pushed it back to March because of the overwhelming hardware changes happening around the time, and now I have pushed it back to June/July/Dual Core Release Date for these exact reasons.

Unfortunetely that's how technology works. :(

And then QUAD cores will be released, next thing you know it's the year 2020 and you've continually pushed back your buy date! :p

By 2020, instead of a curcuit-board Motherboard, your going to have a small box with bunch of lasers shooting data so fast you'll shit your pants.

Nah they will just know how to replicate a human brain by that point and you will have a squishy brain in your computer with a bunch of electrodes to it.

DDR2 doesn't have much more performance. Why would any one pay for it right now unless your stuck with a ddr2 motherboard?

I heard that someone at an university is developing circuit boards out of chicken feathers. Who knows what will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom