Athlon 64 4200+ pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
From the inquirer.net:

AMD IS CLOSE to releasing its next Athlon 64 CPUs. Busy people at the Xtreme Systems forum managed to get a CPU-Z snapshot of the AMD upcoming 4200+ CPU. That is what that site reckons.

This CPU is actually clocked at 2600MHz just the same as the FX55 but in the case of Athlon 64 4200+ the multiplier is locked higher. The 4200+ has 1MB of cache built on 90 nanometre marchitecture and works with 1.4 volts.

This looks like a San Diego core to us as it has SSE3 and it is built on 90 nanometre marchitecture.

This means that FX57 new AMD gaming CPU that should rock at 2.8GHz and have multipliers completely unlocked is close to its release. Maybe CeBIT? It would not be the first time. Helas.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21646

The article has a link to the screenshots of CPU-Z of the AMD 4200+.

:drool: at the fx-57

2.8GHz AMD....man, they are getting up there. Can't wait until they hit 3GHz normal operation with like 1.5 Vcore and .09u architecture.

I think I'd rather get the FX series because of the completely unlocked multis though

Yeah, AMD has made it pretty clear that their FX series is gonna still be their top end beasts, even after dual cores come out. The FX-59 is supposedly going to be the first 3ghz AMD processor which will no doubt blow away the FX-55, now that'll be something else.

The 4200+ looks dirrrty though nonetheless.

Man, that 4200 sounds sweet. Thats a very nice increase from the 4000. I cant wait to see the FX-57 OC results. Intels going out the window.

The FX-59 is supposedly going to be the first 3ghz AMD processor
:drool: :drool: and more :drool:

I'll be able to afford the FX-55 in about....5 years or so haha, by which time it will be junk :D

charles_scott said:
Cant they slow down on these things? I just recently got enough money to build a 64bit bit system with socket 754.....

lol, i feel you. when i finally get enough money for a 939 setup, it'll be "crap".

It's funny how nVidia's "FX" line was so bad, and AMD's "FX" line is killer. odd...

I can't remember the exact name or details at the moment, but there is a theory that computers should double their predicessors in speed after a certain amount of time.

Actually, both Intel and AMD are at a standstill right now and this theory may by all means be disproven.

Cant they slow down on these things? I just recently got enough money to build a 64bit bit system with socket 754.....
Slow down is a bad thing. Yeah lately it's been hell with PCI-E, and DDR2, AND new socket changes. in 3 years they will probably still have socket 939 as the main socket and possibly have a new one in development. It's still a baby after all :D

I can't remember the exact name or details at the moment, but there is a theory that computers should double their predicessors in speed after a certain amount of time.

Moores Law :D

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

Actually, both Intel and AMD are at a standstill right now and this theory may by all means be disproven.
Nah, they aren't at a stand still, but doubling the processor speed within 18 months probably won't be true...not for AMD especially because with each 200MHz they gain within a chip it's like they've made it so it can process like it was 1GHz jump or somethin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom