new videocard, 9800 pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop before you make an ass out of yourself.

VRAM with a 128-bit interface can never be as fast as VRAM with a 256-bit interface. Regardless of the frequency.

I have tons of proof and sources. The VPU/VRAMs interface has the biggest impact on overall performance. Trust me. I know what I am talking about.

I know exactly how interfaces and TCFs work.

The 6600GT maybee 128 bit, but it has over double the clock speed than the 9800 Pro on the memory, meaning more memory bandwidth.
Now this is incorrect. The 6600GT runs memory at a frequency of 1000mhz (in some cases lower), and the 9800 Pro runs memory at a frequency of 680mhz. I will admit it is faster by a large margin, but it is not double the speed.

Here are benchmarks demonstrating the overall performance benefit of the 6600GT. I am still interested in seeing the source that claims the 9800 Pro is superior.

9800pro vs. 6600GT

hey, i own a 9800pro 128/256bit...it's a great card don't get me wrong...i love it.

but as of right now...the 6600GT is doin' better.

these are just benchmarks off this site...take it or leave it.

BOTH are great cards....but one is better for what you are asking about.

as for upgrading from a 9600....i wouldn't spend that $$ on just a slightly more performance boost....the bang for the buck would have to go to nVidia's 6000's line of cards...whichever one you choose.

if ATI's your route, then prolly an X800 XT PE w/ 16pipelines would be the best choice over 6800 Ultra's.

Upgrade to the Radeon 9800 Pro. It's better than the 6600 GT.
Really? Someone get that link to that site that compares vid cards.

EDIT: I need that link to stick in my favorites.:eek:

FrontSide said:
Stop before you make an ass out of yourself.

VRAM with a 128-bit interface can never be as fast as VRAM with a 256-bit interface. Regardless of the frequency.

I have tons of proof and sources. The VPU/VRAMs interface has the biggest impact on overall performance. Trust me. I know what I am talking about.

I know exactly how interfaces and TCFs work.

Holy crap man. You are not looking for a pat on the back are you?? :amazed: .. lol

And err.. You say the "size" of the interface determines the speed of VRAM "regardless" of frequency??? I am interested in knowing how u arrived at this conclusion... :wooha:

ya those benchmarks sure show how the 9800pro beats teh 6600gt in alll thoes games... not

He has a point, memory interface does have quite a large effect on performance of a card. How else would the 9800 Pro, clocked much lower than the 6600GT, be able to perform nearly on par with it? The answer is the 9800s superior memory interface.

But it still can't compensate as much as FrontSide is implying though.

By the way, I still haven't seen your sources, unless I'm looking in the entirely wrong places...

gaara said:
He has a point, memory interface does have quite a large effect on performance of a card. How else would the 9800 Pro, clocked much lower than the 6600GT, be able to perform nearly on par with it? The answer is the 9800s superior memory interface...

Well yeah man. There is more to a performance of a card than just the frequency. Thus the endless debate between Intel and AMD :).

But buddy made it sound like the "interface" determined everything. Which is clearly a very uneducated statement. It's obviously all the factors combined - including the frequency.

And based on benchmarks I've seen, 6600GT kicks 9800 pro's butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom