50 FPS Doom 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow....few bumps along the way but I'm surprised this thread has managed to last this long with little back and forth banter.

Even being an ati fan I'll admit that the x800 pro is not one of ati's better cards, hence why the x800 xl was developed. But then again I wouldn't dare buy a pro version of any card. It's always better to get the xt versions if possible especially if you care for gaming. And actually on the benchmark I saw ati beat nvidia by a good margin on half-life. Just the fact that the x700 xt outperformed the 6800 ultra by a little bit shows ati has the upper hand at half-life and is generally true for most direct3d games.

Beedubya I wouldn't call your purchase a waste of money just yet. I'm sure you can sell your card for a good price with a little effort and buy a card more to your liking. I'm highly doubting you will be getting another ati anytime soon but the xl is out there. Otherwise just sell your x800 pro and get a 6800. Then everyone's happy and we don't need to listen to your whinin' :D

Well doesn't it say something when HL2 (made for ATI) plays extremely well on competing nvidia card, when DOOM3 (made for nvidia) can't hold ground with ATI like nvidia can...?

Yeah it does dale....I don't know...it seems like Doom3 is really a showcase for graphics to come and when it first came out was showing what graphics can be...don't know how they did it, but it's like the specifically went way out of their way to make it almost not playable or worth playing on an ATI card...I mean it's like nvidia and ID made a pact with each other or something it's weird, because my 6600GT can do the same if not better in some areas than beedubs X800Pro, far cry we're pretty close to the same and I haven't gotten to try HL2 yet, but in that game I'm pretty darn sure his will whoop mine.

It's awesome that ATI is putting out that 24 pipeline card, because hopefully that just means Nvidia will have the 7xxx series (assuming they go that way) with 24 pipelines also and god knows what else. I have read though (and if you look at their latest 75.xx forceware beta drivers) that the NV47 and NV50 have been scrapped, and infact the codename NV has been completely dropped and will be using G70...can't wait to see what that produces.

Yea I guess doom 3 is ati;s downfall. But that's really the only game where the difference is that bad. That's why one of your main factors in choosing a video card is what game you will be playing most. Which is why almost all competitive aa players use ati. You know for the extra ati direct3d performance and.. *cough* SHADOW-HACK */cough*

Of course they're developing another card. They are probably also developing the card that will follow that card. Companies always have to make sure they have works in progress for the future so that if something doesn't pan out they have backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom