Built new PC, no display when boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assuming that the radeon is AGP & there is no integrated video on your mobo. Is that correct?

If so, resest the radeon card, make sure it is fully inserted in socket & try again, agp cards can be really twitchy with this.

Can you also tell me what the rest of the specs are ie. mobo make & model, CPU & RAM specs.

Samm said:
I am assuming that the radeon is AGP & there is no integrated video on your mobo. Is that correct?

Yes.

Gigabyte GA-8i848PG
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott Skt478 FSB800 1MB
Crucial 512mb DDR 400MHz

Pull everything out of the case then try to boot it. You can lay the case on its side, and put the mobo across the side with a newspaper or static-proof packaging for insulation. That way you can hook everything up. See if it boots up normally.

Had a quick look at the manual for the mobo - it says theres a white bar on the agp slot that locks the card into place.
Have you done that?

Also, according to the manual, there is a 12V 4 pin socket on that mobo, near the top left corner of the board.
Check again because if it is there, the 12V atx connector must be attached in order for the system to boot

CreditSolutions said:
Pull everything out of the case then try to boot it. You can lay the case on its side, and put the mobo across the side with a newspaper or static-proof packaging for insulation. That way you can hook everything up. See if it boots up normally.

Samm said:
Had a quick look at the manual for the mobo - it says theres a white bar on the agp slot that locks the card into place.
Have you done that?

Samm said:
Also, according to the manual, there is a 12V 4 pin socket on that mobo, near the top left corner of the board.
Check again because if it is there, the 12V atx connector must be attached in order for the system to boot

All this has been done but still no display. :(

Thats a good point, have you tested the monitor?

Also, in your last post you replied to my query about the 12V atx connector & said it 'had been done', but earlier on you said this connector was not plugged in to anything. So, is it or isn't it connected now?

Couple more things to check though :

(I am assuming that you still have everything except CPU/RAM/Video disconnected from system & only a ps2 keyboard & monitor connected at the back.....)

1. Sounds stupid but, make sure the clear cmos jumper is set to normal (pins 1-2 usually). Some mobos come shipped with this jumper set to clear.

2. I don't know much about radeons but does it have a jumper or switch to set it between AGP 2x and agp 4x/8x modes? A few cards do & this must be set to 4x/8x for it to work on this system

3. Can you try a different AGP card

4. Do you get any beeps at all from the system when booting up?

In an old PC that we have the 12v connector is not connected, and the computer boots up. On this new computer that I can get a display on the 12v is connected.

I've tested a different monitor but still no luck.

I have tried a different AGP card but still no display.

I think I hear some beeps, there not very loud, but I think there are some.

There isn't a switch on the card either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom