Can you somehow join 2 computers 2gether to make it faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePB3

In Runtime
Please help me, this may be a stupid question but I thought I heard somebody say you can join 2 computers together to make it faster, say i hav 2 P3's could i join them???
Thanks

As far as I know I'm guessing you can split jobs between 2 computers or multiple (distributed.net, seti@home), and there is such thing getting dual processors.

As far as networking them, it really doesn't make either computer run faster. So if you network a p4 with a p3 both computers are going to be the same speed as before.

Oh yea, to make a supercomputer they connected a bunch of G5's ... I don't know why that slipped my mind. But yeah, research distributed computing.

Thanks csamuels, it something I'm gonna look into also.

There are several things that might be what you are looking for... The Xeon chips and all P3/P2 you can find mobo's that offer dual or more chips. This will make the system run faster if you are using an OS that will take advantage of it. Win2k Xp or any win server OS from NT4 up. Also Linux supports it.
The other is distrubuted Computing, as was stated above. Although the thought of distrubuted computing is ussually thought of as in massive groups around the world. You can do what is called Clustering at home, but it requires a bit of know how in both networking and process scheduling to understand how it works. The other thing, is you need more then 3 machines I believe. 1 machine to act as the scheduler and pool machine, the other 2 are the process machines. You can do it with 2, but what is the point...
You have to run a Linux varient too as I have never seen aything on a windows system doing this, but I could be wrong.
Something you all might want to read about is Beowulf Clustering.
good luck

MikePB3 said:
i want 2 somehow hook 2 P3's up, if thers no way just tell me
Buy a dual p3 mobo, and throw those on. Also it really depends what p3 you want to do a dual machine with.
I know if you want to run a dual CPU machine with p3 450's. The P2 dual setup would whoop the p3's a$$ performance wise. Because the P2's have 512kb l2 ram. The more cache ram the better the performance is! :)

Also to take advantage of dual cpu's you need an OS that will support it win2000 and XP Pro. Also you need programs that support SMP (symetrical multi processing) these programs include, adobe premiere, autodesk inventor, maya, etc. Basically really really high end professional software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom