No rma because of arctic silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
A few weeks ago i built a pc for somebody. I bought all the crap from monarch computers. I powered it up and the cpu was ice cold.... so i put my cpu in it and it booted fine. I sent the cpu back for an rma, and they told me that they will not rma it because i used arctic silver heatsink paste. Anyone else ever had a vendor pull this kind of BS with you? i mean,, it was a damn athlon 64, isnt like you are putting mettalic paste on an athlon xp,, and getting it all over the cache. The die on the 64 takes up the whole chip,, er the heatspreadr i mean. ehh so stupid. I definitly aint buyin crap from them again

This is pretty much crap. Who's the vendor?

Most places will take a chip back, but some won't if you don't use the paste that shipped with the chip.

That's unlucky :(

When I had to return an AMD 3500+ & Asus A8V a few weeks back to Dabs.co.uk, I was most likely fortunate enough NOT to have used my own thermal paste...

Tell them that they will loose thousands of dollars because of you.

They already lost 1 customer for sure for pulling BS.

It is the same with AMD. They won't take it back unless you use the stock fan/heatsink with their thermal pad. Maybe they based it on that.

Probably.

I suppose they assume that if you use the stuff already on the chip, they can expect that you didn't damage the chip putting on something else.

What do they expect people with OEM CPU's to do?

I mean, we dont get ANY paste at all. And if their was no paste on a CPU they would deny an RMA because we didnt use a heatsink.

And, if we have paste on it, they will also deny an RMA because you didnt use their non existant paste.

that stupid. but suppose we can learn from this, might be a idea to remove as much of a trace of the artic silver as u can a put sum of the stuff that comes with it to cover it up. might seem abit of a mess on for nothing but would stop this kinda thing happening. unlucky mate

Just FYI: OEM is not treated the same as retail, buddy. OEM is as-is and you get what you get. If you want the shmancey full warranty an' all the niceties, you buy the retail. If you want a cheap price with the risk of getting shived, go OEM. If the merchant/manufacturer has a no-returns policy on OEMs, that's just the tough luck.

Besides, I bet somewhere in their license or RMA policy they have something about using 3rd-party pastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom