usb vs ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil_warrior

In Runtime
whats the real difference? is one faster then the other? im using a usb connection at the moment but is it better to switch?

USB is sometimes faster, some times slower (1.5 (1.0), 12(1.1/2)*, 480(2.0/High-Speed) Mbps for USB vs 10, 100(fast), 1000(Gig-E) Mbps for Ethernet, commonly). The key difference is distance (3m for USB, 100m for above mentioned Ethernet) if you are only talking about two nodes.

*Long story.

either way,, your hard drive cant write as fast as they can send. So it really doesnt matter, unless you are runnin like a raid 5 across a bunch of drives

If you are using USB then it will be faster than 100Mb ethernet, but not faster than 1Gb. You probably have a 100Mb card.

usb is rated at 400mb, and ethernet can go up to a gig, usually just 100mb though. If you are talking about a cable modem,,, it dont matter, cable modems only use like maybe 1% of the bandwidth the line can offer

USB 1.0 is way slower than 100Mbits Ethernet. USB 2.0 is faster. Anyway, I would go for Ethernet. Less driver trouble, better reliability. Easier to add switches, routers, hub's etc.

When i tried running my cable modem with a usb cord it tottally slowed down,Two of my friend's called me with the same problem and as soon as they switched to an ethernet cable it cleared up and was alot faster.

USB sucks. We had an ADSL USB modem and it kept sending data without any programs running, it was extremely slow, and once you started your computer you had to wait for 5 minutes before the internet worked. Also, when we shut the computer down and rebootet the "connected" light was lighting up, so you couldn't connect to the internet. We had to wait about 45 minutes before it had "cooled down" and we could start using it again.

The USB link cable we tried was even worse. We installed the drivers on both computers and it didn't connect or something. we uninstalled them but the computer kept remembering the allocated USB port blah blah...

I hate USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom