Computer messed up bad, please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maltb

Solid State Member
Hi all,

Ok,

sorry for the long post that I'm writing, but I have no idea whats wrong with my comp, this computer I bought about just over a year ago, all the parts were brand new, and it was custom built, I have all the papes, invoices that went with it when I bought it from a guy I use to work with. Anyways, the computer worked fine, then I went on the net did some stuff and all of a sudden it rebooted on its' own, it would load to the point where it would say Win XP with the blue bar below it and it would keep rebooting over and over!!

**I'm just super bummed out now, I really don't have the money to go out and buy a new system. I checked system Bio's but to be honest I'm not too sure how to use it, but I do have the manual for my mobo. It's like there's a chance it might boot up to windows normally, but since the day it started it's about 98% messing up like I've described. I tried once again to reinstall an OS, so I tried my Win XP Pro sp1, things were looking good, it was installing fine, I formatted the partition I had Win XP Pro sp2 on, it was almost done, when it rebooted, I guess normally when installing Win xp it reboots automatcially, like that's part of the installation, but this time it rebooted, and started to reinstall XP again, without finishing the 1st install. I have no idea what the problem is, I can't get access to the Windows programs to check memory and stuff like that, I think one person mentioned something like computer management and checking memory and stuff. I'm really bummed out cause I have no idea what's wrong, I thought maybe cpu, video card, mobo, and now maybe I'm thinking hard drive, as far as specs go I'm not too sure, all I know is it has an Athlon XP 2400+ cpu, Gigabyte 7DXR, 2 sticks of 256 mb ram, I do know the PC part of the ram are different, I think one is pc2100, not sure what my power supply is, my video card is a 64meg agp nvidia Ti400 or something like that or the other is something else, never had a problem with the computer till now. Is it possible for my memory to just die out...basically the main thing is that my system keeps rebooting, even when trying to reinstall Win xp, and "if" I'm lucky and am able to get into windows log on, which now I probably can't since I attempted to reinstall windows and it didn't finish the install cause it rebooted on me, I'm not sure what to look or check for. I'm on my sisters comp now, thank goodness for that. If it was my mobo would it even boot up and let me be able to access the Bio's set up or anything like that, wouldn't I get an indication on boot up if my memory was messed up, it does do a memory check on boot up wouldn't that alert me with anything, I did do that other suggestion that the other poster said which was to disable restart when something goes wrong, I think I found that in computer management somewhere when one of my few chances to get a full boot up to windows. I just don't know what to do, if I get hooked on having to get a new computer, I might end up spending money I don't have right now on a problem that might only cost my a fraction of what a new computer would....

Update so far is, that my sytem now seems like it doesn't want to boot up, when I turn on my computer, a red and green light come on, you can hear the system boot up, well I turn my monitor on, push the power button on, now usually it'll make a beeping sound, the screen with Dual Bio's comes on, it gives all that type of info, does the memory check then goes to windows load up screen....Well now, I turn the power on, it makes no beep and when I turn on my monitor my scrreen seems to be going black, like my computer won't boot up, it did do this like 3 times within the time frame I started having problems but today after I thought things were looking positive (read the above paragraph) now it doesn't look good at all cause whenever I try to start my comp I get a black screen (I can still use the settings for my monitor, like changing constrast, birghtness, ect...I open a little flap that's on my monitor and inside is a round dial, when you push it in a little screen comes on the monitor to change the settings, so I'm thinking my monitor isn't fried just yet), I'm starting to believe that maybe my computer is finished which sucks since the parts are less than 2 years old!! Oh another thing too, since it doesn't want to boot up and my screen is black, but the computer stays on, my cd rom drives won't open when I push the eject button, I have a disc in there now (win xp pro sp1 when I was doing the install, so now it's sort of stuck) Like I said this problem seems to be getting worse, I'm really thinkg that this being caused my a virus or spyware isn't the case, I had a good virus protector and updated it all the time.

**Just noticed something else, when my ethernet cord is plugged (I think the cord is called an RJ 45) well a green light is lit up when it's plugged into my ethernet card, well as I was saying my system doesn't seem to be be booting up but is on, cause you can hear the fan, anyways I looked behind the comp and my ethernet card light isn't on anymore, I tried unplugged the cord and putting it back in, still no light....could it possibly be my power supply causing all these different problems? Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to give as much detail as I can so you all can try and think of the cause of all this, I'm just really upset now and I need all the help I can get, thanks for all who've been supportive with my posts, anyone that can help, please get back to me, thanks!

I read your post, and this is what stuck out most in my mind.

A while back I had a computer that would reboot itself while windows was starting. It was caused by a bad RAM module.

Thats all I can offer, im not an expert. :(

Ok, it could be a couple of thing. It could be a software problem. Conflicting drivers or conflicting resources IRQ or DMA or Memory Range.
Or a hardware problem, bad ram, bad power supply, or maybe your CPU is overheating and they CPU Temp. fail safe in kicking in.

Hi
I think you have a power supply problem. Is your monitorÂ’s power looped through your computer or plugged directly into the mains? My advice is to try your monitor on your sisterÂ’s computer or another PC, as this will resolve one of the possible faults. If it works on your sisters PC then it looks you have a PSU fault especially if the monitor gets itÂ’s power from the computer.

Im curious about the Network cards lights not working anymore, it could allways be a bad Motherboard or Network card that keeps it from completly installing....

Ok try this.
Make sure you Power Supply is working by taking a paper clip and connecting the green wire port to any black wire port on the ATX mobo power connection. Hook up as many fans and other things *except mobo* and plug the PSU in, if your PSU is good everything will turn on without a hitch. *do this if you do not have a multimeter or ATX PSU test module*

Ok just for FYI a weak or dead CMOS battery will not have any effect on the computer starting up. Even if the battery was removed it should still power up normally.

My next suggestion is to invest in one of these little toys:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3666&item=5171947445&rd=1
This will give you a POST readout even if the screen is blank. This little tool will tell you exactly what is wrong with your computer.

Thanks for someone finally being able to tell me the short out pins on the forums :)

The green light not being on the lan is a BAD sign. This makes me believe this is a mobo problem, caused by a power supplying that is frying everything.

I suggest getting a tester like uzi says (what a cheap tester btw too, never seen one that cheap) and testing your PSU with a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom