System Freezes when cd/Dvd is put into rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTall

Beta member
For the past few months my system has been freezing when i put a cd or dvd in the dvd rom. Now the system doesnt lock up everytime a disk goes in only about 50% of the time. I then need to restart the system and my computer reads the disk fine. At first i thought i just had some dumb bug so i reformated the hard drive reinstalling everything and it still happened. Then i tried switching the Dvd drive. it was first an artec 16dvd which was swtiched to an LG dvd RW. That didnt work. I then figured it could be a power supply issue because i was running at max capacity. so i got a new high end 520watt supply and another new sony DvdRw drive. and my system still freezes about 50% of the time when a disk goes in the dvd rom. Im starting to think that it is actually a windows glitch. Any answers will greatly be appreciated.

It's because it was an improperly burned CD or something like that.

Happens to me on other people's CD's occasionally.

I dont think its that because the system locks up with just about anything. even authentic dvd's and or original games.

I am having this EXACT same problem. Tried different drives, etc. At this point I don't think it's driver related, but I might try removing all of my CD burning software when I get home. It's been annoying the heck out of me for some time. I had experienced a bunch of lockups while trying to install Visual C++ on CD (6 CDs). Took me like hours to finally luck out and make it to the end without hanging. Those were brand new CDs, too, so it wasn't scratched disks, etc. My portable installed it just fine.

waynejkruse10 said:
yeah, badly burnt or scratched cds could be the problem.

I agree. Are all of the CD's you've run scratched or damaged in any way? Try a brand new CD or DVD.

-Dan The Man

talltude123...Yea i had a 500watt ultra power supply and now i have an ocz 520watt modstream so i think im ok. And my computer is reconizing the drives fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom