x800 or 6800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrading to a 6800 GT will not improve your CS-S or HL2 performance. Your card should be fine in that game. There are other games, however, where the X800 Pro does pose a problem. If you are going to upgrade for the purpose of CSS performance, wait for the next generation of cards comming out this spring. Either get one of those, or wait and the 6800GT or X800XT P.E. will come down in price.

P.S. If you are having framerate problems in games besides CSS and its bugging you, then it might be worth the upgrade to the 6800 GT. Upgrading to the X800XT from the Pro would be plain stupid IMO.

a range of 40-130fps is a very large range. 40fps may be problematic, but 130 sure as hell isn't.

I thought you were more of a doom 3 player. If you want to up your performance mainly for doom 3 then get the 6800 gt or ultra, though I don't know if its really worth all that money for the boost. If you are concentrating on counter-strike then the 6800 won't give you an improvement. In that case I would stick with what you have or if you really want more performance for counter strike then get the x800 xt platinum edition.

Another option is selling your card on e-bay or somewhere and then buying a x800 xl. The x800 xl is cheaper than your card and also faster.

but how much wud i imrpove from x800 to 6800 i need something that doesent go below 60 my x800 even drops to 20-30 during big fights i dont want that.. even though the x800 is 60-130 when im runnin around with no one shooting when shootin begins it drops hella... so i dont know..

that's odd, I don't think that's a problem with the card, more just your settings. Are you sure you aren't using compressed lightmaps or something funny like that? Or maybe try precaching settings. Or the amount of map you are loading into ram.

Whats causing the X800 Pro to be so expensive when its not all that impressive of a card? ATI is still selling it for over $400!

Your pro really should be doing better. Unless yoru running full AA and AINSF, something is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom