Oem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxar

Baseband Member
Ok, stupid question here, but after pondering over it for a long while, I felt I must ask it.

What's the deal with OEM as compared to retail, exactly? If I buy something OEM, will I still get all the necessary cables, instruction manuals, necessary software, etc., or will I possibly have to purchase them separately?

If there is anything else important that you think is important about OEM parts as well, please let me know.

Thanks,
Luxar

It really depends on what the answer to this question is. If I get everything I need with the OEM parts, I might just buy every piece of hardware I can get OEM. I'm planning on building a new computer, and I've seen OEM offers of things such as processors, hard drives, graphics cards, CD-drives, RAM, and WinXP, and it's all noticably cheaper. Just wondering if there's a particular reason why they're cheaper.

webopedia def - Short for original equipment manufacturer, which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers. OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a particular application. They then sell the customized computer under their own name. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers -- they are the customizers.

btw scripts use [] here not <>

Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question too well. So if a buy OEM, I'll still get everything that would come with a retail offering of the same hardware? And sorry about the tags(didn't know they didn't use html here).

also, most times OEM liscense are for that computer only and can't be transfered from want system to the other.

things that are OEM does not come with original box.
if you are buying an OEM cpu it does not come with heatsink like retail heatsink do.

Retail - You get full packaged box and contents. Plus manufacturer Warrenty

OEM - Just the hardware is shipped. No warrenty

oem parts such as sound cards usually include drivers, check package contents to make sure though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom