Norton Ghost question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinu

Baseband Member
Right now I got a 20 gig HD that has my OS, and a 40gig that just has my mp3s, movies, stuff like that. Im gettin a new HD, so I want to dump the old 20 gig one and use my 40 as the main one.

I have norton ghost 2005 and one of the choices is to copy one drive to another. So i was thinkin of copyin my OS drive onto the one with all the files. Do I have to worry about my stuff gettin earased, or can I just copy the os onto the bigger hard drive and not worry. And then would I just be able to run the OS off the new HD just like it was like before.

thanks

if you do that you will lose all your files. you have to choose a target partition that is emtpy or has nothing important on it. you would have to copy those files after you clone your partition. do not select the partition with all your files on it as the target.

you could do this several ways. you could save those data files and remake your partitions and clone it than put those files back or you could make a separate partition and clone than copy the files over from your data partition, etc.

after you clone your 20GB partition to one on your 40GB you will have to set it active using gdisk (comes with ghost) or any other partitioning utility. note: if you want to have more than 1 hard drives installed you need to tell your BIOS which IDE device to boot from first (HDD0,1,2,3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom