NV Silencer 5 - some questions about the results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Person

Baseband Member
Hello everyone!
Recently I got me a NV Silencer 5 for my 6800 Ultra. Well, first of all I'm happy the lawnmower-like noise is gone! But that brings me to my concern. Do I need to wait a while before the thermal compound that came with it fully works? Right now my temps are slightly higher (!) /same as with the original cooler. 50 idle to 72 load. I'm a little worried about this... I just ordered myself some Arctic Silver 5 to put on my CPU, should I do the same for the GPU?
Thanks!

I dident know it took that long. But if you install it, then use your card soon. It just wont dry, since your card produces heat.

Depending on the brand, it might already have a more than adequate cooler, but the silencer is supposed to be an excellent cooler + quieter.

BTW Person: Please take out the spaces between the specs on your sig. 15 lines of size 1 text is permitted and with spaces in between yours its like 30 lines.

Is in an eVga 6800 ultra. I don't know if it was good or not but it sure as hell was LOUD!
Sorry about my sig, i didn't realise I didn't need line breaks because the software would already insert them automatically, and I never really paid attention to it. It is fixed now, sorry for any inconvenice :).

From what I have read the Ultra actually has pretty good stock cooling, so the NV 5 wouldn't reduce it too much. 72c load is still pretty good for that card.

My 6800GT on the other hand, runs hot! It has hit 95c after many hrs of CSS! Even though it sets a max of 120c, which is crazy IMO, that is way too hot for me. I just ordered the NV5 on Friday so I can post results when I am done. There have been reviews of it reducing the GT load temps by 20c, so I am hoping for load temps in the 70c range. I am going to use artic silver 5 with mine, so that might help as well. I always like a way to reduce noise as well so I am looking forward to getting that thing installed.

I can say from experience with my NV silencer one that all they are doing for you is killing the noise factor. small noisy fans push more air than the NV silencer, but the Silencer doesn't recycle the warm air. In the long run, stock and the silencer series equal out temperature wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom