AGP vs PCI-e? (6800 Ultra)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condar

Solid State Member
Hey all,

Let me start off by saying I just recently entered this community yesterday and you all are great, thanks for the help so far! :cool:

I'm going to be building a computer this summer, and have been picking out my main parts today (I'm sure I'll have to decide again this summer with new advancements, but anyway). Right now I'm stuck on a video card. I'm looking at the nVidia 6800 Ultra, but do not know much about AGP and PCI-e, and the card comes in both versions. The only thing I know about PCI-e is that its new and have read it will be the new 'standard' over AGP.

nVidia 6800 Ultra (PCI-e version) - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-222&depa=1
nVidia 6800 Ultra (AGP version) - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-130-196&DEPA=1

Additionally, the other two crucial components I have chosen are:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-492&depa=1
GIGABYTE "GA-K8NU-SLI" - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-279&depa=1

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding (mainly) the video cards and any input on the CPU and MOBO. Thanks in advance!

-James

PCI and PCI-e will beat out AGP. The question everyone tries to answer is when. Then bottom line is that no one knows. AGP will almost certainlly be good for another 1-2 years...but PCI-e is the future...so it's up to you.
I would choose on the basis of if your next comp...when you're gunna get it, and wether you're going to be upgrading your current one or getting a completely new one. If you upgrade you comps, you might wanna look into the next generation of parts/specs...PCI-e, Skt 939, 64 bit...etc.

You'll want PCI Express, it features double the bandwidth of AGP and is generally cheaper as well.

If you are indeed looking at top of the line cards, which it seems you are, and since I know you are looking to build in the summer, you have much to look forward to. ATi is releasing their new r520 core in May featuring 24 pipelines and a 700mhz core, and nVidia will no doubt be countering that, with what I believe is called the nv50, although I'm not sure.

I also suggest this motherboard rather than the Gigabyte. I'm not sure if SLI is a neccessity to you or not.

Get the PCI-e, and change the mobo to the DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

Good luck

Yan Booth

Definitely PCI-express over agp, it is better and will be more compatible with future cards. Though I would recommend you get the radeon x850 xt platinum edition if you have the money since it is the most powerful card out right now.

As of right now they will be almost identical. They don't have the technology (GPU power) to utilize the full 16x pipeline in the PCI-X compared the 8x AGP.

Well as Gaara said, the new 512bit video cards are coming out this summer. If you waited intil then, then got the newest PCI-Express mobo, witch will be built for the new generation video cards. Your going to see a sick increase in speed.

I would stay away from Gigabyte mobo's. That MSI or DFI would work ALOT Better. Abit too. Personally, i feel the 6800 U EE, the new 512bit video card. I think it will be better then the ATI. But either one are unmatchable. Those are going to have 700mhz cores. That insane yo! That FX-55 is a monster. Its the best chip on the market. If you wait for the new mobo's and 512bit video cards, you'll have the best system around.

GeckoEcho421 said:
As of right now they will be almost identical. They don't have the technology (GPU power) to utilize the full 16x pipeline in the PCI-X compared the 8x AGP.

They are just about identical

But without a hammer, that AGP card WILL NOT fit in that motherboard.

it does depend if u wanna pay teh extra for sli on ur motherboard or not. ive got that msi board that gaara suggested and its really really good. ive never used dfi so i can tell u wat they are like apart from ive heard they are good. if i were u i wouldnt get sli i would do what ive just done and get a good setup, maybes buy a better cpu, that fx55 is amazing. and get a 6600gt graphics card in pci-express then when the new generation cores come out with teh 24pipelines spend the money uve saved on that. means ul get a new comp soon and ul be able to play teh top of the line games on full settings np

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom