Built new PC, no display when boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilko

Solid State Member
Hey, so I just built my first PC. But when I power it up there's no display on the monitor. I've checked everything is in place on the motherboard and everthing seems to be fine. I'm guessing it's the graphics card where the monitor plugs in, and I've also put in an old card from an old PC that worked fine, but still no display. I'm really stuck, any ideas?

Tell us a little more... does your motherboard post when you turn it on? Does your hard drive\CD Rom drive spin? Also check to make sure that your motherboard is not shorted to your case.

Everything starts up and sounds fine, the power light is on, fans are spinning, i can open and close the cd-rw and dvd-rw. So to me everthing seems ok. When the monitor is not plugged ito the PC is has that blue and green screen thing, and it goes off when plugged in, but no display comes on. One thing that is strange is that the floppy light stays on all the time. But surely the display should still come up? I've even tried taking my Radeon 9600xt out of my comp and putting it in, but that doesn't work. I have two monitor ports at the back of the new PC, one is the new graphics card (radeon 9200se) that's in the AGP slot and another is out of an old PC that just goes into one of the expansion slots. I think I have my terms right, apologies if it's confusing.

First thing is your floppy drive cable is inserted the wrong way round. If you are sure it is correct at the mobo end (red stripe lined up with pin 1) , then unplug the cable from the floppy drive & flip it over so the red stripe is on the opposite side.

This may be cause of your display problems.

If it doesn't solve the display problem, then I suggest you disconnect everything from the mobo except ONE graphics card (leave the AGP card in, take PCI out), CPU & RAM.

Clear the CMOS & try booting up with just these components connected. (ie No drives, CDs, Floppies, PCI cards etc attached).

Ok, so the floppy light is sorted, thanks for that. No luck on the display though. I noticed on an old PC that the ATX_12V was not plugged in, so I tried that, it switched on, but then it wouldn't turn off, so I guess that stays in. I tried taking all the drivers out like you said, but still no display. It's wierd, it all starts fine and sounds fine, but with no display. Maybe there's a cable that hasn't come that I need to plug into the motherboard or something? I have the same motherboard in my computer, but there wasn't any problems when booting up this one.

Usually, if the computer boots up, do you just go into the bios and do the settings in there, then insert the OS cd after that?

I looked inside, and the atx 12v connector wasn't connected, but I just had another look and it doesn't appear there's even a place on the motherboard for it to go, so it just must run a different way I guess.

How many wires are going to this connector, is it 4 wire in a square shape? If so & theres no socket on the mobo for it, then don't worry about it.

Also, what video card is currently in the machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom